Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Babysteps into 18650
For the pool heater, rather than sun into electricity converted, stored then used to heat it would be more efficient to heat the water directly from the sun. That would scale down your system requirements.
hey pieter by the looks of your name you are comming from the Netherlands?
if you want to find a cheap source of cells contact your local bike stores i just bought 240 cells (ebike) for 65 euro's or if you get lukcy you can get them for free
barry Wrote:hey pieter by the looks of your name you are comming from the Netherlands?
if you want to find a cheap source of cells contact your local bike stores i just bought 240 cells (ebike) for 65 euro's or if you get lukcy you can get them for free

Not the Netherlands (i do work there tough) but Belgium... but that's an idea i didn't think off before! Thanks

johnallinson Wrote:For the pool heater, rather than sun into electricity converted, stored then used to heat it would be more efficient to heat the water directly from the sun. That would scale down your system requirements.

I got that, but it is a rather big pool (28 000L) and i've tried it, but it never reached the desired temperature without help... and, if i want to upgrade it, i gotta fill my whole shed roof with solar heaters Sad
barry and johnallinson like this post
What kind of system did you use to try to heat the water?
Pietershomeprojects likes this post
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
Korishan Wrote:What kind of system did you use to try to heat the water?

I made solar panels, with 50m Tyleen tube on a spiral…. When the sun is out it actually produces a lot of heat, (it melted the pool tubes so temp above 80 degrees) but once the water is running it doesn't got a lot of effect... if i really want to have effect i got to make this very big... and then, when there is no sun…. i got nothing… also the system to determinate when the water should acctually pass trough it, was a little too expensive, so i'm manually operating it, and that gives the opposite effect sometimes, if it's colder outside, it cools the water down... so i'm not using this anymore… it looked good when i started it... found an old picture... got 4 of these.... this was the first one… this panel is 1m * 1m... the picture is 1 corner of the shed roof... like a quarter… so imagine how many solar panels can fit on there….

[Image: WP_20150207_002%5B1%5D.jpg]
hbpowerwall likes this post
Nice, I have a few panels I got for $20 for 3. They are a little bit bigger but are the kind that has the copper snaking on the back. I plan on duplicating the design. In materials it'd cost about $20 for 1. I can't believe people are buying the system for $500+ and it only had 3 panels, a pump and some pex tubing. The pump is even cheap, around $25.

You could use a temp sensor to control a DC motor and when the temps are low, the pump is powered with low voltage, to off. And when the panels get hot it ramps up to full speed. Auto regulated
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
(02-20-2020, 02:41 PM)Pietershomeprojects Wrote:
barry Wrote:hey pieter by the looks of your name you are comming from the Netherlands?

Followed your advice! first try, they didn't want to think about it.... Second try, guy had them laying at home, and i can go and pick them up next week... arround 10 battery packs Big Grin
He didn't even wanted money for it, but i'm going to give him some anyway... that way i can go back Big Grin

(02-21-2020, 07:20 PM)Korishan Wrote: Nice, I have a few panels I got for $20 for 3. They are a little bit bigger but are the kind that has the copper snaking on the back. I plan on duplicating the design. In materials it'd cost about $20 for 1. I can't believe people are buying the system for $500+ and it only had 3 panels, a pump and some pex tubing. The pump is even cheap, around $25.

You could use a temp sensor to control a DC motor and when the temps are low, the pump is powered with low voltage, to off. And when the panels get hot it ramps up to full speed. Auto regulated

Hmm, maybe i might look into it again, right now it's connected to the filterpump.... so pressure is rather high... and, ofcourse, it has to run for atleast 6 hours a day, i'm not gonna sit there for 6 hours... so, low voltage pump could be an option..
barry likes this post
You Lucky...…. Big Grin normaly the packs has 40 cells in them so you have your first 400 cells if they are all good Big Grin
Pietershomeprojects likes this post
Any suggestion on the fuse wire.... can't find any in europe....
is would use thin copper  wire and exepriment with that and see when it blows,there was a guy on YouTube "avarage joe" did some experiments with good results