Wooden cell holder

johnallinson

I'm considering making cell holders out of wood. I know that wood and fire sources aren't a great mix but even plastic burns, it's a great insulator and easy to work with. Am I considering doing something stupid? Any feedback?

A looooooot of work, is what I see.

Dont see any issues as such but the plastic holders saves alot of time so i dont htink its worth it.

That wood work ;-)
But like everyone says: much easier to buy pre-made plastic holders.
Unless you have a CNC like a Shapeoko, in which case you could fairly quickly cut custom wooden brackets.
I do something similar, but with plastic and a 3D printer.

@Average Joe's father did a youtube I saw once - where he used vertical PVC (sitting on a parallizing busbar)to hold cells in series. Something like this:
DIY E-TUBE without solder or BMS 18650 Battery pack pvc pipe conduit fittings -https://youtu.be/AC1kmmegr78
only many vertical tubes next to each other sitting on a busbar on the bottom and clamped in place by another busbar on top. The difficulty is getting good neg-pos contact thru the vertical stack of cells - but then there are things that could be done to facilitate that.

Me - I find soldering easy/efficient and I can unsolder/resolder easily to re-arrange/re-use/fix things :)

AveRage Joe building a cell holder out of 3/4 inch schedule 80 pvc pipe aprox. 19 mm
building a custom 18650 cell holder
Diy Tesla Powerwall ep6 Building the Battery Holder
later floyd

floydR said:
AveRage Joe building a cell holder out of 3/4 inch schedule 80 pvc pipe aprox. 19 mm
building a custom 18650 cell holder
Diy Tesla Powerwall ep6 Building the Battery Holder
later floyd

I think he mentions in one of his later videos that the time and effort that went into building that was totally not worth it :D

I believe you are right.:)
But if you had the pipe on hand and were short on funds and long on time and needed something to do why not?:D

later floyd

I found that PVC battery by the guy I think is Average Joe's Dad. He did a few to cover the whole project but here's a key one:

"Adding 18650 batteries to specially built frame" -https://youtu.be/JpHYxKGg_rk

At the the time I thought it was pretty cool (and still do) but now (that I know more) I don't see how BMS balance leads would be wired in very easily :)

There are a few disadvantages. Wood has a tendency to crack. Wood can absorb moisture, and if the voltage is high enough, arcs can cause wood to burn, leaving a more conductive path behind.

Building pack holders, or shelves for batteries out of wood makes sense, if you find it easier to work with.

There are many DIY holders people have made using PVC tube. This is the way I would opt to go, if I were going the DIY route. Tube has other advantages, as you can easily slide a cell out, without cutting the plastic ears. See the above video AveRageJoe made.

Personally I would stick to the off the shelf holders, as there is a lot of time and effort in making your own. Unless you need something a specific shape or size.

I use wooden boxes I personally build for storage.
For packs, the design and material used varies depending on purpose.

Back