Do Hybrid Inverter limit your household usage?

johnallinson

New-by questions again sorry,

I'm looking at grid tied solar+batteryhybrid inverters and like most starting small and growing. That means my solar/battery will be less than my household usage. When looking at Hybrid inverters do I need to size it for just my solar/battery size or because all power for the house will be going through it, for the whole house? (I'm assuming just the solar/batterybut you know what they say about assumptions) i.e. If my house at a point in time is using 10kw,I have 4w coming off panels, and the grid is supplying 6kw, does my hybrid invert just need to handle the 4kw aka a 5kw hybrid invert is enough? Or because my Hybrid inverter is in the middle my house is limited to 5kw or I'd need a 10kw inverter?

And to further the example with batteries, is my assumption right that with a 5kw inverter,if my house at a point in time is using 10kw,I have 4w coming off panels, the battery would supply 1kw (up to the limitof the inverter)and the grid wouldsupplying 5kw?

(Looking at MPPhttps://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hybrid-5000w-230vac-48vdc-Solar-inverter-grid-tid-off-gridhigh-PV-input-450vdc/163192198388)

Mpp wont work. Its either or. You need to get a proper inverter and you need to be approved to feedback to grid.

The inverter itself does not combine grid + solar/battery above its rating.

So either get full size system directly of the cheap mpp or get a proper hybrid system where you only run from grid and backfeed.

What you ask for is a grid tied system that can hook Up a battery to. A hybrid is basically an off grid system where you can backfeed grid. And the later is limited by the inverter size.

Take a look at how i have built My hybrid system. And yes om approved to sell back energy.

Lasso note that mpp Gear have a massive Idle load. A single phase is 60-80w energy wasted in Idle. The 3phase is whopping 240w. Thats 7kwh per Day.

IF you go baove its rated current on the hybrid it Will switch to grid... But it can Still not push through to high current. Its contactors is limited in what they can carry

Thanks. I figured I'd have to go through approvals with licenced electricians etc to feed into the grid. Would a grid tied with batteries work in event of a blackout and work to minimise the amount of grid power consumed? I'd love to be off grid eventually but I'll get their eventually spending $$ where I can afford it. I'll read through your project, thanks.

@daromer any inverters you would recommend (balance of price and quality)

With the power consumption of the idle load, assuming 80w that an extra panel or two - $200-$400. That seems more cost effective than the more expensive inverters $1-2k extra. Thats slot of extra panels I could buy instead.

Extra panels only work IF you can store that energy and have enough solar all year around

Yes hybrid work without grid. My system is designed like that. I use the 10kw and would if and when i have money go for victron. But it cost 3-4* as much
But instead i dont have to worry IF the Gear Will last.

Thanks @darmer. Thanks for your patience with dumb questions from beginners.

So if hybrid really translates to off grid + sell extra power - is this what a hybrid invert would do at any point in time (depending on settings)?
- More PV inbound than your house is using
* If the house usage is less than the inverter capacity -> power house + top up batteries + send to grid if batteries are full
* If the house usage is more than the inverter capacity -> Just supply to the limit of the inverter/PV/Batteries
- Less PV inbound then your house is using
* If the household usage is less than the inverter capacity -> Use what PV+battery power is there then no power.
* If the household usage is more than the inverter capacity -> Just supply to the limit of the inverter (PV+Batteries) then no power when the batteries are discharged.

daromer said:
Lasso note that mpp Gear have a massive Idle load. A single phase is 60-80w energy wasted in Idle. The 3phase is whopping 240w. Thats 7kwh per Day.

240w * 24hr = 5760whr or 5.76kwhr

That is not great, but not as bad as you were saying?

Oz add extra for the wasted energy. 240w is meassured from battery. You need to get the energy to the battery ;)

John
Yes but IF you overload inverter it either djurs off or switch to grid.

Back