Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WM5- Ferrule and Wire size
I note that Batrium recommends .5mm ferrules, but then recommends 26guage wire - which is about .4mm in diameter.

24guage is just about bang on .5mm in diameter

I’m worried if I buy 26 gauge the wire won’t crimp well in the ferrules.

Can someone who has used 26 gauge wire with 05mm ferrules give me some guidance here please?
You have to remember the ferrule has wall thickness. So you may not be able to put a 24 gauge inside the .5mm. There has to be room for the wall of ferrule plus the wire itself.

The outside diameter of the ferrule is .5mm, what is the inside diameter? Wink
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
i doubt the pin is .5mm OD ? Are they that small?
Ferrules can be very small, yes. Here's a list of sizes: https://www.ferrulesdirect.com/collectio...e-ferrules
26 awg = 0.14mm
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
Ferrules are a bit fussy, but a good idea to use - they contain stray wire strands, help grip wires better, distribute contact area better, reduce/prevent cut strands from a screw.
You want your ferrule to just slip on wires used & once crimped, be just snug.
Too big & they fall off &/or squash out too wide for the terminal hole, etc.
Quite often you have to trim the length (after crimping)
floydR, Korishan, hbpowerwall like this post
Running off solar, DIY & electronics fan :-)
Yeah, I’m sold on the idea - just waiting to make sure my purchase of wire is the correct size.

I’m at the business end of my powerwall and I’m buying lots of misc. stuff (like ferrule kits, braided wire sheath, hook up wire etc) and it’s all adding up - so I want to make sure it gets done right the first time.
Redpacket, hbpowerwall, Korishan like this post