48v modular packs

ERBR1516

Ok, I've been lurking for some time to try and get an idea of how to design my packs for my powerwall. I really like the modular approach, that way the system can remain in operation when needing serviced or if I need to remove a pack for any reason.

So this is what I have came up with. 14s20p packs. Those packs will be connected in parallel. I will put the system into service once I complete the 4th system voltage pack..

image_xqsppm.jpg

image_mpqxvm.jpg

image_xmrngp.jpg

Just wanted to start a discussion on the pros, cons, and just anyone's input on how I have designed the packs. Will there be any issues with the pack design? All cells are testing between 2200,and 2800 on my liitokala. All cells are LG. One group of cells rated at 2600 and the other rated at 2200.There are an even number of each in the pack (or will be). All cells testing at or above rated specs.

image_fitvfy.jpg

Please put your images on different lines than your text. Makes it hard to follow what you typed.

Korishan said:
Please put your images on different lines than your text. Makes it hard to follow what you typed.
I'm sorry I wasnt aware it was going to do that. When I inserted the pics they all showed up at the bottom of the text. How do I fix this for future posts?

Use preview to see what your posts look like.
Edit them to look the way you want them.
Then preview again until it looks good.
later floyd

ERBR1516 said:
Korishan said:
I'm sorry I wasnt aware it was going to do that. When I inserted the pics they all showed up at the bottom of the text. How do I fix this for future posts?

Below the post there are some buttons. One of them is "Edit". Click that and you can choose either Quick or Full. Both will show where the pictures will be at. Before each [] tag enter a carriage return to put them on their own line.

It seems to me there is an issue with layout if fussing

Bussbars would be best fun horizontal as the packs are 4 rows wide which is good for fussing

But then you can not connect the last two packs at bottom

If you run vertical you can put all packs in series but each pack has 5 rows making the buss bars more challenging

image_pxmlas.jpg

Ok, everything is bussed and fused, all cells are balanced at 4.1v, for a overall pack voltage of 57.4v. The soldering job could be improved lol. I found even with 100w iron I need to take some time to let it heat back up for the next joint. Also to use 60/40 solder(flows better).

Each pack will be terminated with Anderson powerpole connectors. The metal cabinet they will call home will have chassis mount connectors inside. I also want to have a connectors to parallel the packs at the cell level if possible? I haven't decided what to use and am open to suggestions. I would like it to mount inside like the chassis mount connectors, that way everything is plug and play.

ERBR1516 said:
image_pxmlas.jpg

Ok, everything is bussed and fused, all cells are balanced at 4.1v, for a overall pack voltage of 57.4v. The soldering job could be improved lol. I found even with 100w iron I need to take some time to let it heat back up for the next joint. Also to use 60/40 solder(flows better).

Each pack will be terminated with Anderson powerpole connectors. The metal cabinet they will call home will have chassis mount connectors inside. I also want to have a connectors to parallel the packs at the cell level if possible? I haven't decided what to use and am open to suggestions. I would like it to mount inside like the chassis mount connectors, that way everything is plug and play.
Cool - looks like good progress.

Hahah, looks like a Tetris piece ;)

This is the route I have settled on too. I am using a 14s12p arrangement, in a 'grid' of 15 x 12, with the spare row of 12 to house connectors, internal BMS for portable packs, and a voltmeter.

I have not settled on my main connectors yet, but am using DB25 (i.e. 25 pin serial port) connectors as a means of accessing each string of parallel cells to connect into a BMS, whether internal or external to the pack.

I chose the size of the packs because I can fit 2 of these neatly into a large ammo can and use it as a fully self contained portable power source. Alternatively, I can remove the lid, and slide it sideways into a rack as part of a larger system.

I will start a thread in due course - not meaning to hijack this one, but just showing support for the 14s modular pack concept.

WOW . looks good :)
Call me when ya get some time got your text .. Yes I have more of the Dell Packs if you want them . . . And they are from the same shipment as the last ones . . . .Just guessing I have 200 to 250 packs . . .

Guess I need to get back to work on mine . . . . YOUR GOING TO BEAT ME TO THE FINISH LINE !!!!!!!

Back