Opus Fan Mod

So after only a few weeks of processing cells, my Opus is beginning to scream with agony... The fan!!!

I've bough another 2 chargers this week which will give me 3 in total and I'm going to "fan mod" them all at the same time using Pete's suggestion here:

https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=6903

And I'll video the process for my YouTube channel as well.One question that I just can't find an answer to is this... The 80mm fan use din the mod, is it 12v or 5v?

Cheers all!

Darren
@https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjXT8KJnEzo-DJHFRR1W8jg

12v on these fan mods(conejoblanco)

image_mdpafp.jpg

its a 12 V original fan, about 65 mA (Cherry67) https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=5712
later floyd
Just did a quick mod not finished my opus fan is makin a terrible racket, so took a 12v 40mm fan I had from a old computer removed the back of the opus removed the fan cut the wires, soldered the wires from the 40 mm fan on to the connector on opus fan plugged it back in. Now the opus bt-c3400 is discharging some cells, the fan is on now. the fan is quiet. I will see how it works.

image_ttohqg.jpg

NOT finished

I don't get it, after years my fans still don't make a sound - there must be a difference in how they used to make them compared to now :(

Most of the 3100's are probably not to the specs of the original anymore. They have probably started cutting back on quality make larger margins.

My 10 opuses still run fine too :p I had 1 fan make sounds in beginning but that stopped.. (And no, the fan is still moving :p )

I swear these things are probably made in 3 different factories with 3 different supply lines - which change over time. Mine were rubbish - They would get hot and the charge/discharge would pause for long amounts of time due to heat etc (esp on the discharge, giving wildly varing readings) - better in winter thou.

Honestly, they are junk, thou a big fan will probably help make it a bit more consistant.

I put fans on top of the cells when using Opuses to prevent the breaks in testing.
The cells are pre-charges so overheating is excluded at the set test current.

You should never cool the cells. That just f*cks up the test result alot and you no longer know how the cell perform.

Always test at the conditions you will run them in.

Here in Australia, with the temps at say 30 degrees, you literally cant test without a fan, the Opus pauses its discharge. It gives fake results due to giving the cell time to recover. A fan is required to keep the charger cool enough. I did the 3D case mod on two of mine and it helped.

@daromer most of the time they are used in Arctic-like environment, so I don't need parameters at high temperatures.

The ones that may end up in high temp areas are separately endurance-tested at high temperature.

My simple fan mod. Runs on 5v from the power supply so it doesn't pull too much air and affect the cells. Threw some legs on it so it can sit upright for easy viewing.

image_vvqwod.jpg

The stopping doesnt change the total outcome much a d it gives all cells same deviation...

Note that IF you add a fan in middle of the test you need to retest all cells..

Back