Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vinnie & Shaun Design
Has anyone built a battery using Vinnie / Shaun's design?

I had to post this question in a new post as the original post in this section doesn't allow anyone to reply.
This thread belongs in the Battery Pack Design section. Moved.
drh likes this post
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
(03-03-2020, 01:19 AM)Korishan Wrote: This thread belongs in the Battery Pack Design section. Moved.
Apologies [Image: smile.png]
Whats Vinnie and Shaun? Sounds like something from a cartoon Tongue
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
(03-03-2020, 08:22 AM)daromer Wrote: Whats Vinnie and Shaun? Sounds like something from a cartoon Tongue

Haha, this:

https://github.com/WannaBAcoder/PCB-Powerwalls

https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=6881
I havent built Them because i dont see Them to be used on many applications than factory made rack mounted Gear. I rather se the conventional methods used for batterybanks it powerwall where you use more simple method of spotwelding.

So far i have not seen many out There actually in use except for a few... Then add the cost Smile

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
(03-03-2020, 12:37 PM)daromer Wrote: I havent built Them because i dont see Them to be used on many applications than factory made rack mounted Gear. I rather se the conventional methods used for batterybanks it powerwall where you use more simple method of spotwelding.

So far i have not seen many out There actually in use except for a few... Then add the cost Smile

Ive gone back and forth between which build process I prefer.

1. DIY Build Packs - Home Made Bus Bars, Soldered/Spot Welded Cells, Glass/Nickel Fuse Roll.

Main Advantage: Cheaper build process
Main Disadvantage: Harder to fix when a cell fails

2. PCB Based - Slot and go.

Main Advantage: Excluding the initial manufacturing process, quick to build packs and easy to maintain afterwards.
Main Disadvantage: Higher pack cost due to PCB Manufacturing.

When I first looked at this, I thought the PCB system was neat & tidy but cost prohibitive and that's still the case if you were buying something like Jehu boards, but when I costed getting the PCB's made myself, I got them down to $1.20 per board in small batches of 100 and a third of that was the shipping fee. If I'm going down the building packs route today, I'd probably do Nickel Fuse Roll which has an impact on the price comparisons between methods!

Thats why I was intrigued to know if anyone has built a big system using the 15S PCB's.
I Still think proper spotweld is easier.

PCB board without holders doesnt add anything. IF so its better with just normala nickel strips or plastic holders.

As Said There is a reason why you dont see the larger systems using Them like My system. Smile

(03-03-2020, 03:30 PM)daromer Wrote: I Still think proper spotweld is easier.

PCB board without holders doesnt add anything. IF so its better with just normala nickel strips or plastic holders.

As Said There is a reason why you dont see the larger systems using Them like My system. Smile

I like to play devils advocate and challenge preconceptions, so don't take any of this the wrong way Smile

Spotwelding is easy once your setup with a good process and good spot welder like the KWeld but you must concede it doesn't get any easier than pushing cells into battery holders Smile

I don't believe there are any issues with scaling using PCB, simply add more PCB packs as you do DIY Packs, so I'm not sure what you mean in your last statement.

Maybe I'm mistaken or missed something?
The cost of the PCB is not that high, but the battery holders really add up.

Also, for a Powerwall, you'd need to stack dozens of those PCB boards. And then the advantage of easy maintenance is totally lost? To find and replace a bad fuse/cell, you'd have to disassemble the whole stack. And depending on which battery holder you use, getting a cell out is not easy. With some of the holders I have for testing, I have to carefully pry the cell out with a screw driver!
I believe my 3d printed pack is still one of the easiest to maintain. I can clearly see all the fuses, detach all 100 fuses in 5 min or so, and replacing one specific cell requires just one thumb and less time than typing this sentence.
Modular PowerShelf using 3D printed packs.  60kWh and growing.
https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=6458