Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batrium Documentation Frustration
Is it just me or is Batriums documentation painful and fragmented?

For example, there doesn’t appear to be a single spec sheet that tells us what we need to know as far as device inputs/outputs and limitations. Ie voltage/current etc. I’m also confused at weather some of them will supply power to a device or if they are ‘relays’ only?

Practical example: will any of the outputs allow me to trip a shunt or power a fan? If so what volatages and current limits will the outputs supply?

My guess is they are ALL just a relay type output - no power supplied. But what are the differences and limitations between the onboard A & B outputs on WM5 vs the expansion board 2 options.

There are bits mentioned here and there but nothing complete and in one place.

I’m still trying to determine the differences between the available expansion boards.

I would have thought a detailed spec sheet would be the first thing they published?

The expansion board data sheet is out of date - it contains details for v1, but not v2. I can’t find ANY real
Specs on this!

The link to WM5 product details (on the WM5 product page) is a 404.

Arrhhh
Agree - but after many years and many products like this, my angst is more of a wistful lament for 'the old days' when documentation was a priority. Smile

Fortunately there are great youtubes from @Daromer, @HBPowerwall, @AverageJoe, @LithiumSolar + this forum is a great resource to get pretty good info on specifics.   

Perhaps you could you detail what would help you and you'll probably get some helpful responses.    I've been using Batrium WM4+Expansion for over a year now and have learned a little bit - happy to share if it will help.
Patalhetas likes this post
Thanks -

Specifically what are the specs on the outputs on WM5 and expansion 2.
Yep, i would agree its fragmented, took a little while to gather enough information to start the wiring process!

I was directed to the typical wiring document for a support issue previously (https://support.batrium.com/article/268-...tchmonplus), there's fusing at 3A across the supply lines.

In the video regarding connecting a fan (https://support.batrium.com/article/206-...-watchmon4) at the 9:21 mark it mentions that the max amps is 3A if powered from the Watchmon expansion board.

Also found this video helpful from HBPowerwall (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS3GFW-pr0U&t=408s) at the 3:09 mark you'll see he's also shown you how he's wired up his shunt-trip.
Yeah, thanks - No wonder i'm frustrated. :-)

The expansion board and WM5 has lots of different outputs - Mosfet, relay etc and they all have different capabilities.. Its madness that someone needs to troll through hours of video to find simple answers that a simple one page data sheet could give.

The example wiring diagram says 'be careful of inrush currents' without actually specifying any current or voltage limits. It has a typical diagram with 3A fuse, but doesn't really expand on that.

The video - this says the expansion board has a max of 3A - What about inrush? What about the main board?

Hopefully someone at Batrium sees this and can write a single page spec sheet detailing all the specs - And details each output - summarizing its type, how it works and its limitations.

For example:

WM5:

Output A: Type: Type: Blah, Voltage Max: Blah, Current: Blah, inrush: blah
Output B: Type: Blah, Voltage Max: Blah, Current: Blah, inrush: blah
etc
Expansion Board 2:

Output Blah: Type: Blah, Voltage Max: Blah, Current: Blah, inrush: blah
etc
This this one..

Has details about the outputs.

https://support.batrium.com/article/220-...iderations
daromer likes this post
Slimf: The link to WM5 product details (on the WM5 product page) is a 404.
Have you sent in this information to their support to correct it?
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
I’ve emailed support twice before without reply. I gave up.
Hey Folks - while we have a Batrium thread open...   What exactly does that orange segment on top of blue cell voltage mean.    Does this indicate that the cell is charging? or the voltage is varying a bit?  
Vidually showing that the value change. More representativt k think batrium Said.

Question came Up in the beginning Smile
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh