Oliman's 18650 Power Wall?

BeckettColt

I got excited about building a PowerWall about a year ago now.
I stumbled across some crazy Australian guy on youtubejust in case there was any question)who was using laptop batteries to power his house and I was immediately intrigued.

Just to give a little additional context, I had justrecently finished lining my entire roof with solar panelsand learned (during thatChristmas)that when it snowed and brought down the power lines, I couldn't actually use any of my solar because it was grid tied and required the grid to be active before I could actually use the power that was coming from my solar.

Upon further investigation, it seemed the only way to remedy this travesty (which my solar installer conveniently neglected to inform me)was to add battery backup to my system.However, everything I looked at, that was commercially available, was either super tiny or just plain unavailable (I'm looking at you Tesla PowerWall).

Well, after binge watching everything I could find on DIY PowerWalls(for a few weekends). I finally deemed myself "expert enough" to try and tackle my own project.

I decided on 14S 100P, mainly because 100 seemed like a much rounder number than 80 (yes -that was literally the only reason).

I started out by buyinga ton of chargers and batteries and then completely destroying my exercise room with broken plastic and boxes filled with BMS boards.

BeckettColt said:
Upon further investigation, it seemed the only way to remedy this travesty (which my solar installer conveniently neglected to inform me)was to add battery backup to my system.However, everything I looked at, that was commercially available, was either super tiny or just plain unavailable (I'm looking at you Tesla PowerWall).

Yup, a lot of people here in FL,USA have ran into that problem as well. There were literally 1000's of customers who couldn't use their solar farms at all because it was 100% grid tied. It ticked a lot of people off and many have started installing off-grid units.

BeckettColt said:
I decided on 14S 100P, mainly because 100 seemed like a much rounder number than 80 (yes -that was literally the only reason).

Well, yes, of course! it has two "0" in it, so it must be rounder! :p

Back