Mixed packs

barry

Hey guys i hope you can help me :D i could not find the answer...i have 7s 80p packs each 200ah, now i want to expand to 14s :D when i build the other 7 packs and the ah hour is higher than the original 7 packs how big of a problem will it be?

As Long as you base your load on the weakest packs its fine. But you are basically wasting the other capacity that exist due to this :)

Runables yes
Optimal No
Need extra conaiderarion yes

thanks for your answer, so the best option is buy used cells and sort them over the 14 packs

It shouldn't matter as long as the voltage is the same. Once you connect all the packs together (including the balance connectors) they will equalize to the same voltage. The voltage will remain the same while charging and discharging.

Jony, he's not connecting them in parallel, and also he doesn't mention what kind of bms he's using, if any.

Korishan said:
Jony, he's not connecting them in parallel, and also he doesn't mention what kind of bms he's using, if any.

i am only in the buildig fase at the moment so it's easy to change your plans :D the BMS i had in mind is a daly BMS

Are you planning to mix new a d old ? Are the old like oooold?

IF so dont do it. In series you want the same type of cells IF you can you want same amount cells, same amount lows and highs , as Close capacity as possible.

If you have 14 battery packs wired in series and the battery packs all have different capacities, your string of batteries will only perform as good as the lowest battery pack in the string. I suggest trying to better match cell capacities next time. I'm building large packs so I just take all the cells and mix them up in a big box. If you're building smaller packs, sorting cells is much more important.

One thing you could to alleviate the problem is add a few extra cells to the packs that are testing lower.

Back