Would you remove these tabs from harvested cells?

rappy

Or should i just weld nickel over them?

I would need to grind them off if it's necessary to remove them.

image_eqahiv.jpg

I wouldnt unless you need high current out. For fuse Wire its not needed att all

You wouldn't need to grind/sand them down. Just press them down really flat, then spot weld over top them. The nickel is soft enough and should deform around any raised dimples

I have a small piece of hardwood and I just push the cell down on it and twist it a few times and that tends to push them back down nice and flat.

I primary started doing that to prevent injury as those things can be pretty sharp, but it helps prep the cells for use as too.

I have a rotary thingy that is like an electric nail file and I use that to remove them. But not really needed, I think.

Can it be a bad thing to grind them?
I think i read somewhere that the batteries are coated with rust preventing stuff that shouldn't be grinded off :)

rappy said:
Can it be a bad thing to grind them?
I think i read somewhere that the batteries are coated with rust preventing stuff that shouldn't be grinded off :)

From my experience some light scuffing is required on some cells for soldering... so I know that coating is there, but your environment will dictate if it's a bad idea or not.

For me it's more a time / processing thing.

14s 80p = 1120 cells x 8 welds per cell = 8960 tabs to be ground.

I don't have the time or patiencefor that if I can just solder or spot weld over it.

You "can" sand/grind off the spot. Yes, there is a protective layer on it (most are nickel plated steel). So keep the grind spot small and when soldering, make sure to cover the spot completely.

Back