Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edd's 43kWh NZ Power Wall
Well, I have collected and tested all the cells.
I have decided to go with 300p packs and an average of 2800mAh per cell.

I took a long time to decide on the busbars, not sure I have the best approach but I'm going to have 120a Anderson plugs on the top of each pack and then wire a loom to connect them in 14s. I will plastic print some holders for the plugs so that I can attached to the top of each pack and to make plugging and unplugging a bit easier.

Not sure if anyone has any thoughts or advice on the busbars, I have each cell fused on both sides and 5 smaller copper bars running vertically on both sides and the main cable bridged across them, the negative at the bottom and the positive at the top, hopefully the photos show this.

Creating the packs

Using the individual cell fused nickel strips on both sides

The smaller busbars between the strips are 5x1mm twisted together and there are five on each side

Adding the main busbar across the smaller ones to connect to the 120a Anderson

Still got 4 packs to build and fuse

Will keep adding some photos as I progress. Thought are welcome.
Thanks
Korishan, ajw22, Redpacket And 1 others like this post
Wow....impressive.
The Kiwis are now using the american mantra: Go big or go Home ^^
Ibiza likes this post
Batteries harvested: 2344 / Usable batteries: tbd (TBD%)

Cells tested: 1996 (Average: 1668 mAh) / Cells in production: 0 (00 %)
(03-27-2020, 02:53 AM)edd021 Wrote: I have each cell fused on both sides a

Thought are welcome.
Thanks

Hi Edd,

WelL done. Looks good. 300 cells makes them also relative easy to handle. As longs as you shield the bush bars there is not much problem. My only question is why you fused them on both sides? one fuse per cell is more then enough. Or did you just want to same nickel for both sides?
Menno
Using 7S80P pack. Building 14S40P packs.
"Tell me, and will I forget. Show me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I will understand." Confucius 450 BC
That pic with 4/0? red and black wire arching up / seemingly 1" apart on top of a pack - Yikes...  made my stomach jump thinking about a short Smile
Go big or go home - very cool!
(03-29-2020, 01:02 AM)Menno Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 02:53 AM)edd021 Wrote: I have each cell fused on both sides a

Thought are welcome.
Thanks

Hi Edd,

WelL done. Looks good. 300 cells makes them also relative easy to handle. As longs as you shield the bush bars there is not much problem. My only question is why you fused them on both sides? one fuse per cell is more then enough. Or did you just want to same nickel for both sides?
Hi Menno,
Some of the posts I have read said fusing on both sides is beneficial, I just thought Id take the extra precaution and had to join them all together with something. I agree though, not sure what value it adds.

(03-29-2020, 01:50 AM)OffGridInTheCity Wrote: That pic with 4/0? red and black wire arching up / seemingly 1" apart on top of a pack - Yikes...  made my stomach jump thinking about a short Smile
Go big or go home - very cool!

Luckily, the positive side isn't soldered yet, its just sitting there so no chance of a short.

I have actually run our of solder and with the lock down in New Zealand, I cant buy any more for who knows how many weeks!

I ordered some of ebay, maybe someone in Australia will post me some  Smile

I cleaned out what will be the power wall shed today.

When I brought my place about 5 years ago, there was a sauna down the back of my property, I think its fro the 70's, I had never used it so I thought I would rip the seats and heating unit out. Now its going to be my powerwall room (away from the house)

The Shed

Half the seats out

Something to look at while you are having a sauna I guess?

All clean, just need some shelving now!
Korishan likes this post
well the lock down has been kind to me, I now have all 15 packs made up (14+1 spare).

I am not going with the Anderson plugs now, think I will just bring the positive and negitive wires forward and bolt connector cables to them like many others have done.

Just need some more cell level fused nickle strip, so I can weld them all up.

striping old electrical wire for busbars today!