Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Novice DIY Wizard seeks diagram review
We are installing this system into our full time conversion van. Only a month into electrical studies for a set of totally new DIY wizards. Thank you for all your great wisdom O’ mighty masters of secondlifestorage. I’m also heavy into studies for a BMS. The current candidates are REC, Batrium, Orion, and Smart123. Ill have at least 2 (preBMS) temp sensors in the system on the shunt and mppt as well. Just about the entire system will be composed of “smart” victron components. The novelty of singularity and handheld control/monitoring enchants me. I quite enjoy the idea of Bluetooth capability of the REC and Smart123 as well. Note that there will also be Mega fuses in the Lynx distributor(some cbs may stay for redundancy or on/off control.

Can't speak to the entire diagram - but it jumped out at me that you don't have a circuit breaker between the panels and the charge controller.   Its good to have a circuit breaker/quick disconnect so you can work on the system without any PV power flowing in...   in your case (van) a single circuit breaker could perform both roles.

Also I don't see a lightning arrestor - https://www.altestore.com/store/enclosur...00v-p9043/ - might be good but I agree I don't often see one on RV or Van solar systems and I'm not sure why except I guess I don't think of lightening striking a vehicle. Maybe someone with actual knowledge on this will weigh in Smile
Lightning arrestor wont work on a wehicle. You need a firm ground.
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
(04-07-2020, 06:44 AM)daromer Wrote: Lightning arrestor wont work on a wehicle. You need a firm ground.

what counts as a firm ground on a vehicle?
Nothing. There are no ground on a vehicle unless you bring a copper rod and sticks into the ground. Thats why you put your self in the car when there is a lightning storm since it basically protects you Smile

If you park for a longer time i have seen people ground the vehicle that way but its not common at all and 99% of all people dont do it. And therefore the lightning arrestor is useless (the ones needing ground)
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
(04-07-2020, 07:14 AM)gpn Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 06:44 AM)daromer Wrote: Lightning arrestor wont work on a wehicle. You need a firm ground.

what counts as a firm ground on a vehicle?

you can not ground a vehicle Big Grin  it sits on rubber tires so a firm ground wil not work Big Grin
A firm ground on a vehicle is the car it's self
Crimp Daddy likes this post
I've seen RVs that have a flap on their tail that helps to create a ground contact. When the vehicle is not moving, the flap tails are laying on the ground. This goes all the way across the back of the RV.

Though, that may just be an anti-static device more than a grounding connection.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
Sorry to derail the conversation about the system design. I was scratching my head trying to figure how you ground a vehicle.. HAHA
It gets even more interesting thinking about how to protect a (flying) plane... basically conductors tip to tip!
gpn likes this post
Running off solar, DIY & electronics fan :-)
So aside from lightning arrestors and grounding airplanes anyone have suggestions? Wink I’m also interested in experience with REC, Batrium, and 123Smart BMS’. I like that 123Smart can be configured/monitored/updated entirely with device and Bluetooth, as opposed to needing PC connect. I only have/use Mac and iOS. I’d have access to a PC for i initial setup but after that I suppose I’d just need to buy a cheap laptop dedicated to REC or Batrium. If anyone has experience/recommendations (especially with Leaf batteries) they’re greatly appreciated although I gather they are all excellent products.