Measuring the loads of the house take 2

Wolf

A continuation ofhttps://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=6760

So I finally got all the CT's installed on my Electrical panel and feeding into the IoTaWatt that sends the data to my influxdb hosted on my Ubuntu laptop.

I threw together a grafana dashboard and here is what it looks like:

image_ysxmyg.jpg

Wolf

I wish I could have that on my dashboard. Nice layout ;)

I can't atm on mine because of the system it's running on, a bit out dated. Plus I need to redo the sensor mcu and add more clamps

darkstar824 said:
Badass dude! how much are you using a day total?

My house averages about 15 kWh per day.
So about 450 kWhper month.
With solar (now that winter is over and the sun has risen in the azimuth) depending on house usage I produce around 6 kWh to 9 kWh per day.

kWh right?

daromer said:
kWh right?
Yea not enough coffee this AM.
Corrected.
You have the advantage of having been awake for at least 5 hrs. :p

Wolf

Ok after having been shamed by Daromer on my vernacular and nomenclature for Kilowatt Hours Here's a picture of the IoTaWatt installation. :cool:

image_vqywad.jpg

I ran 3 lengths of Micro Connectors 500' Stranded Shielded (STP) CAT6A to my load center in the house which gave me 12 connections
I only needed 10 so it gave me 2 spares in case there was a problem with any one pair.
This cable is double shielded so RF interference should be minimal.

image_wokwqx.jpg

Soldered and heat shrunk all connections.
I forgot to take a picture of the load center and the CT's . It was late at night and I was happy to have the cover back on.

Wolf

Last edited:
'Yea not enough coffee this AM.
Corrected.
You have the advantage of having been awake for at least 5 hrs.'

Ohh my... I can't do such things after my 20th birthday lol

Wolf, are you using the cat6 to increase the length of the iotawatt CTs wires?
Never mind. I looked at the pic better and seen that’s what you did.

Last edited:
Wolf, all night long on the graph it shows the grid supplying roughly 200w constantly. Why aren’t the grid tie inverters covering all your load? Are you limiting the iinverters to 500w then manually raising their output at roughly 11:50am?
I also see -5w from grid. Are you having backfeed issues?
Awesome dash! I’d really appreciate if you could find time to school me about how to get a dashboard like that. Love that the house temp, humidity can be seen with all the other info. I’d like it to show battery voltage aswell.

Last edited:
If you are looking at that graph that was done in April 2020 so much has changed since then I have no idea why I was pulling 200W from the gid.
It may have been one of those times my 2 GTIL were not adjusted just right and the battery voltage was at a a crossover point for the GTIL and one of them dropped out IDK. The -5W "backfeed" does happen on occasion but for mere seconds when one of the GTIL overshoots the target. Usually that happens when the refrigerator or some other cycling motor (AC comes to mind) kicks in and the initial draw is high. 99.9% of the time I show a 0W to 7W draw from the grid. It is winter here now so solar has been limited but you can view all my dashboard at anytime as a guest.
1610978891000.png
user guest
PW guestw
I will certainly give you some pointers on dashboard design although I am no expert. You can ask either through PM or here and I will do my best to answer.

Wolf

Sorry Wolf! My error, did a copy-paste and the beginning space was really invisible 😆
Wow, great stats, Graphana is a great tool for graphing data.

Found it very inspiring, so I thank you for that(y)(y)

Back