Anyone own a Audi e-tron?

_OS_

Here is mine:

image_wnzkeg.jpg

I checked one out at the dealer when I was shopping, it's a nice car, but not really my speed. I'm more or less in the Tesla camp.

Congrats on the ride. It's a sharp looking vehical.

With all that said, gas so cheap right now I am daily driving my V8 pickup haha.

Just curious and open to being attacked...
Given the cost of the e-tron does playing with 18650 cells really make sense when trying to replace the lead ?

Yin-yang of power ?

completelycharged said:
Given the cost of the e-tron does playing with 18650 cells really make sense when trying to replace the lead ?

I belong toa similar camp, but not for monetary reasons. EVs are absolutely the future, no doubt about it. But at the moment, and perhaps for the next 5~10 years, it makes IMHO more sense to put more industrial power behindPHEVs. With thehigh cost andbatteries production limits still seeming to be a (the?) limiting factor, it makes more sense to push out 6x PHEVs with 15kWh instead of one EV with 95kWh battery. And 15kWh providesenough electricalrangefor 95% of the people95% of the time, so it effectively has a very similar carbon footprint. No range anxiety either.
CityEV rideshare/taxis/buses I can get fullybehind. Though in case eg.buses, it again seems to make more sense to size the battery just large enough to cover the typicaldaily range, and then have a small range extender engine for the really cold/hot days, instead of making thebattery2x the size to account for all use cases.
Sorry, a little OT rambling...

I think personal needs, lifestyle choices, and where you live will play a large roll.

Where I live public transportation isnt really something people want to use, or go out of their way to use. Car culture or personal transportation is generally first in line, but this is also why our traffic is terrible.

Personally I have no interest in PHEV vehicles. A plug in EV like the Model 3 takes care of 80-90% of all my transportation needs. To be completely honest even if the Tesla was a gas power car, I would have considered it. The value (to me) of that product wasnt that it is an EV, is that I cant stand traffic and it has the absolute best driver assist for freeway stop and go driving, Autopilot. It really makes commuting tolerable and more fun.

I dont even drive enough daily mileage to argue/justify buying a new EV for fuel savings but not having to visit a gas pump is also overall very convenient.

For that last 10-20% a Tesla might not be able to satisfy, most households will generally have a 2nd vehicle to fill the gap. I personally like having some diversity if my vehicle choices, and I still enjoy having a gas powered vehicle too like a truck Road trips, camping, off-road, and utility Lets be realistic, what else am I supposed to use to buy a pallet of batteries?

image_xjqifu.jpg

completelycharged said:

Yin-yang of power ?

I am an electrical engineer and I am doing the 18650 stuff for fun :) Besides, I live in Norway where there are no VAT/Tax on electric cars. Toll roads are free for electric cars. The electricity is cheap (6 ore/kwh this morning = 0.6 cent/kwh). That is excluding "network charge" which is around 5 cent/kwh. In total around 6 cent/kwh.

Nice. If you drive a lot, and get additional perks like carpool lane / toll roads, tax breaks... all good incentives.

When you say 6 cents, is that converted to US? 6 cents is pretty cheap... 0.6 cents is even cheaper?

Power here is about 15 - 20 cents USD per kwh depending on time of use and if its commercial or residential. Its still far cheaper than gas.

If the Tesla truck turns out to be a win, maybe ill replace my aging Chevy Silverado with it. I still need to have a truck for work and personal utility...

_OS_ said:
completelycharged said:

Yin-yang of power ?

I am an electrical engineer and I am doing the 18650 stuff for fun :) Besides, I live in Norway where there are no VAT/Tax on electric cars. Toll roads are free for electric cars. The electricity is cheap (6 ore/kwh this morning = 0.6 cent/kwh). That is excluding "network charge" which is around 5 cent/kwh. In total around 6 cent/kwh.

CrimpDaddy said:
Nice. If you drive a lot, and get additional perks like carpool lane / toll roads, tax breaks... all good incentives.

When you say 6 cents, is that converted to US? 6 cents is pretty cheap... 0.6 cents is even cheaper?

Power here is about 15 - 20 cents USD per kwh depending on time of use and if its commercial or residential. Its still far cheaper than gas.

If the Tesla truck turns out to be a win, maybe ill replace my aging Chevy Silverado with it. I still need to have a truck for work and personal utility...

Hi! Yes I mean 0.6 US cents. Here are some facts:

One Norwegian krone (1 NOK) is 100 ore
One US dollar (1 USD) is 100 cents

1 USD is approx 10 NOK (https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=NOK)

That means 1 US cent is approx 10 Norwegian ore.

Below is a screenshot of my app that tell me the electricity price I payin real time. In the circle is says 7 ore but it was below that earlier today.

image_agknxu.jpg

_OS_ said:

With Norway EV sales market share exceeding 60+%, I bet those "perks" are starting to looklike the new normal, and instead ICE'rs getting punished with taxes/tolls? A lot of countries would have reduced/eliminated the incentives by now... how's the overall perception over there?

Back