Fungineers: Tested 3 different Nickel Strips from China

Korishan

Administrator
Nice demonstration of China based "nickle" strips and how to test them.

Testing my roll pure nickel now
later floyd
The roll of nickel is pure nickel according to the test and the seller

Since you posted this, I'm going to resurrect the great Pure Nickel vs. Nickel-Plated Steel debate.

I've been knocking nickel-plated steel for a long time. It tends to rust. When it rusts, it does damage to the cells around it. It's not as conductive as pure nickel. It tends to oxidize over time making it even less conductive.

But then I see respectable people like Wolf and Pete using Battery Hookup's nickel-plated steel. And I just got done using my Malectrics spot welder on a couple of side projects, and given the same thickness, nickel-plated steel welds use way less power and stick way better than pure nickel. So not only is it cheap, but it's also a LOT easier to work with.

So is pure nickel still the best? Or is nickel-plated steel acceptable now? I'm going to be using a couple of kilograms of this stuff, so I'm just wondering what the consensus is, at least for power-wall usage.

The video was mostly about testing if the advertised strips one orders is actually Pure Nickel, or Nickel Plated. A lot of sellers will state pure nickel when in fact they are nickel plated. The video shows how to do that.

Aside from that, your question doesn't really fit this thread. However, I will state, if the metal (what ever you use) is sufficiently thick enough to handle the current you'll demand, and will be in a place that is fully protected (not only from falling objects but also elements such as moisture, sun, cats, etc) then it doesn't really matter either way if you use Pure Nickel or Nickel Plated.

Related question: how many strips can you make out of 0,85 grams of Nickel ?

Or simpler, what weight does one strip 18650-usable have ?

Back