Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iCharger X8 Died - Took it apart
(05-07-2020, 09:21 PM)floydR Wrote: sorry I don't, and at the moment I can't find it. so I can't even measure the ohms.
Email sent to the seller. When I  hear back or find it and measure I will post what I find out

later floyd
found the element 1- 1.2 ohms does that sound right?
I got it because it was for 24 volt.

Doesn't seem that accurate based on the description...  at 24 volts and 1 ohm it would draw 24 amps, which is 576 watts.  1.2 ohms would be even less at 480 watts.

This is why I like those resistors I linked... they have published resistance values which allows you to just do the calcs and figure out the best setup for your needs.   

You can also just get a bunch and arrangement them in series or parallel to accommodate different voltages / watt load for the charger.

(05-07-2020, 11:22 AM)OffGridInTheCity Wrote: External - Didn't know about this.  I have the math right...  at 20a discharge....  then  4v(pack)/20a = 0.2Ohm resistor @  4v*20a = 80watts.

SO, a .2 Ohm reistor @ 100w should work for 20amp discharge?  - Like this on ebay?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/100W-Watt-Shell-Power-Aluminum-Housed-Case-Wirewound-Resistor-1-2-4-8-1000-Ohm-/192401667448?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10&var=492385156663

And all I have to do is hook it up on the + side of the power wires and set discharge to 20amps?

As you can see I have had my coffee... your math looks correct.  You need 0.185 ohm resistor set for 74 watts of discharge current.

Note: Always use the pack/battery nominal voltage when doing the calcs.  But do check it against the max charge voltage to make sure you are not going to exceed what the charger is capable of handling.
Up dated the post, the second reading has in between .9 and .8 ohms
Wind turbine dump loads are calculated at the max voltage of the turbine 29v for a 24volt turbine
latter floyd
(05-07-2020, 10:52 PM)floydR Wrote: Up dated the post, the second reading has in between .9 and .8 ohms
Wind turbine dump loads are calculated at the  max voltage of the turbine 29v for a 24volt turbine
latter floyd

That makes perfect sense considering dump loads are not activated until the batteries are full and power needs to be diverted.  In that case with the updated resistance, its correct as advertised. 

You could always get two of those... in series it would be good for 1000 watts of 48 volts, and in parallel 2000 watts for 12.

The mix and match was my plan to expand the capability for the iCharger.  Capacity testing in the winter this year is going to make a lot of sense considering I have a bunch of EV cells I need to test.
2nd one just died.   I purchased the 2nd one about 3 weeks ago - discharged 4  x 1s51p packs to storage (3.6v) with no trouble.

Yesterday I charged up (1/2 of) a Lead Acid APC UPS battery using Pb mode @ 2.30v/cell * 6s = 13.8 and it started having trouble booting.   I had to remove the +/- power leads from the battery to get it to boot - it would just boot/flicker/boot/flicker etc...  (not good).   I did get it to boot by turning it on with nothing attached and charged a 2nd one OK.   I did try the sense leads - but unit didn't like it and just stopped using them (and read that you shouldn't use them) so maybe once again the sense leads 'broke something'?

Today - it won't turn on or boot or do anything.    My bad luck  - but that's the 2nd one that's died for no good reason I can see - so I'd better get the message and move on.  Kind of frustrating and these things are pretty expensive.   Sigh....

Going to try an ISDT Q8.  Not as detailed options - but maybe it will work longer.   I'll post back after a while and say how it went.
Sorry to hear about that... Is it possible to return it?

I buy all my stuff from Progressive RC which is a good state side distributor.

Your experience is concerning to me... iCharger makes good stuff, but perhaps the x6 and x8 line isn't what it used to be? The sense leads is something I have been using with my 206B+ and 4010 Duo since I got it.
(05-20-2020, 05:45 PM)Crimp Daddy Wrote: Sorry to hear about that... Is it possible to return it?

Your experience is concerning to me... iCharger makes good stuff, but perhaps the x6 and x8 line isn't what it used to be?  The sense leads is something I have been using with my 206B+ and 4010 Duo since I got it.
Yea - its not my intent to bash ICharger but rather to share for what its worth...  wondering if 'sense leads' are perhaps an achilles heal?    In the first failure - a couple of sense leads shorted at the battery, which may have affected the iCharger itself.  In the lead acid - I hooked the sense leads (in addition to power leads) to the battery a couple of times before I read that you don't use them for PB.     So maybe I'm harming the units by mis-use of sense leads?
(05-21-2020, 02:53 PM)OffGridInTheCity Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 05:45 PM)Crimp Daddy Wrote: Sorry to hear about that... Is it possible to return it?

Your experience is concerning to me... iCharger makes good stuff, but perhaps the x6 and x8 line isn't what it used to be?  The sense leads is something I have been using with my 206B+ and 4010 Duo since I got it.
Yea - its not my intent to bash ICharger but rather to share for what its worth...  wondering if 'sense leads' are perhaps an achilles heal?    In the first failure - a couple of sense leads shorted at the battery, which may have affected the iCharger itself.  In the lead acid - I hooked the sense leads (in addition to power leads) to the battery a couple of times before I read that you don't use them for PB.     So maybe I'm harming the units by mis-use of sense leads?

Mystery solved!   The ISDT Q8 arrived today - and it wouldn't turn on!!!   I feel like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation trying to turn the lights on.

Turns out - my cheap circuit breaker (circled red in picture) was working intermittently / low voltage to 0 voltage.   I used this as on/off switch - so its been turned on/off 50 times now over last several months.    Yes I measured the voltage at the iCharger X8 plug when this happened and it showed 24v but it goes crazy up/down to 0 volts with load / flipping circuit breaker on/off.  This explains the screen flashing when it was trying to boot.  

Replaced it with a Midnite Solar 20a breaker - and wa la - its working again.  Didn't expect the cheap 30a circuit breaker to fail intermittently, but maybe I should have as its just a cheap item and not built to be an on/off switch in the first place. Oh the joys of being a DIY'er and blaming the wrong equipment.

Now I wonder if that was the problem with the 1st one... but alas I took it apart so no way to tell now.

Sorry ICharger! Smile
(05-22-2020, 11:47 PM)OffGridInTheCity Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 02:53 PM)OffGridInTheCity Wrote:

Mystery solved!   The ISDT Q8 arrived today - and it wouldn't turn on!!!   I feel like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation trying to turn the lights on.

Turns out - my cheap circuit breaker (circled red in picture) was working intermittently / low voltage to 0 voltage.   I used this as on/off switch - so its been turned on/off 50 times now over last several months.    Yes I measured the voltage at the iCharger X8 plug when this happened and it showed 24v but it goes crazy up/down to 0 volts with load / flipping circuit breaker on/off.  This explains the screen flashing when it was trying to boot.  

Replaced it with a Midnite Solar 20a breaker - and wa la - its working again.   Didn't expect the cheap 30a circuit breaker to fail intermittently, but maybe I should have as its just a cheap item and not built to be an on/off switch in the first place.  Oh the joys of being a DIY'er and blaming the wrong equipment.   

Now I wonder if that was the problem with the 1st one...  but alas I took it apart so no way to tell now.

Sorry ICharger! Smile

Glad you found the problem... I am also using a breaker as a switch, I wonder it the damage comes from repeated use from the inrush current when switched, or because its just cheap low quality stuff.

My 4010 Duo goes nuts when I use a 48v supply... the inrush current is enough to damage contacts on my connectors from sparking.  I ended up buying some anti-spark XT90 RC connectors but never used them because I switched over to a breaker, but now I am rethinkiing that decision after you posted this.

I even used a resistor in the past to pre-charge the caps slowly before throwing the breaker when using a high voltage supply, but its pretty inconvenient.  I guess I could wire it up with a switch.  That said, it is a good quality Bussman Cooper breaker.