mppt charger for a 12s?

jon218white

hello
building a couple of 12s batteries wondered if there was such a thing as a mppt charger for larger cells sizes?
thanks

what is mmpt? MPPT perhaps?

why 12s? What nominal voltage?

3.7V nominal on 12s is a tad low for most devices. They are better off with 14s.

electric skateboard

MPPT generally refers to solar charge controllers... if you want to use one of those, find one that is fully programmable like the Victron and you can customize your charge rate and voltage. Note that most are buck style so your input voltage will need to be higher than the battery.

If you want to use balance charger, then most will stop at 10s. That said, some dual channel units can support two banks of 10s each. So if you split the back (electrically) into two 6s packs for charging, you can charge both at the same time.

A dumb "wall wart" is also an option, but its the least desirable to me. That said, its also the most convenient provided you have a BMS.

Just use a bms on that battery bad a CC/CV PSU. Thats the general standard charging that type of packs. Charging via solar is possible but is it worth it?

Is so buy any customizeable mppt that can set top voltage low enough

Crimp Daddy said:
MPPT generally refers to solar charge controllers...

Daromer was referring to the typo ;) OP updated the post, but not the title. I fixed the title.

didnt think of using a solar charger thank you

is there a different way of safly charging the battery
my 12s 9p each cell will be 22500ma, could i just charge at a lower amperage ?

i have a pretty decient power supply where i can limit current i only intend charging to 4.1v each cells or 49.2v overall

cant work out what current to limit to so each cell is getting 500ma?

thnaks

The correct charging provide for lithium in CC/CV. This is easy to accomplish in more than one way.

If you you want charge at 500mA per cell, then you would need a 4.5 amp power supply that will not exceed 49.2 volts if charging a 12s9p pack.

thanks

Back