Nitecore D4 Slot 4 not charging

Wayne's World

As the title says. It starts out fine and appears to work. It reads the voltage, shows current and time. When I check 10 even 15 hours later, the voltage hasincreased maybe 0.01v. I was thinking I had dud cells, even though they had just been cycled in the Lii-500. After a few cells, I began to suspect the charger, so kept more of an eye on it. It happens regardless of the starting voltage - 3.0v or 4.1v.

Anyone familiar with these and what the cause might be and how to fix it?

I pulled it apart, had a look for anything obvious, cleaned the contacts and greased the sliders while I was there, which made inserting the cells effortless compared to before. No change of course.

I've had a Nitecore I4 which has worked great for years except that the battery slot springs are insanely difficult to extend to the full 18650 length and keep extended while inserting a battery. I've noticed minor cosmetic damage to the cells from the force required to squeeze them into the slots.

Does the Nitecore D4 have this problem?

Are there any other multichargers that I should consider?

I have tested them all. I fell for Opus as being the "best" suited. It does 1A discharge and have the cells the correct way around and easy to work with.

Some like the Liitokala 500 but it only do 500mA discharge. Cheaper though but you do pay based on discharge current here :)

AustinGreyson said:
I've had a Nitecore I4 which has worked great for years except that the battery slot springs are insanely difficult to extend to the full 18650 length and keep extended while inserting a battery. I've noticed minor cosmetic damage to the cells from the force required to squeeze them into the slots.

Does the Nitecore D4 have this problem?

Are there any other multichargers that I should consider?
Do you mean just for charging, or for discharging as well?

The D4 got really difficult over time. When I pulled it apart, I checked for obvious faults, but nothing that I could see. As I reassembled it, I cleaned the sliders and applied white grease with a cotton bud to all the surfaces. Inserting cells is now super easy. The spring tension is actually fairly minimal - half that of the Lii-500. It is very hard.

Subsequently, Slot 4 still does not charge, although gives the impression it is.

I was considering buying an i8 as a way of bulk charging, ready for cycling, but I can buy 2 Lii-500 for the cost, so that makes more sense. I'll soon have 6 x Lii500 and a 500s. The wait is SO LONG! Cycling 4 cells at a time, with 500 in line, is quite painful.

shamsmehra90 said:
Hi,
Shared rail on that charger IIRC.

1&2 are shared an 3&4 are.

If you charge one cell in slot 1 or 2 and another cell in slot 3 or 4 you should get full rate charger is capable of.
Agreed, and that works for 1 or 2 & 3, but not 4, as of a few weeks ago when I first noticed slot 4 still 'charging' its cell after several hours.

Back