Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MPP Solar PIP - How to 'force' batteries to charge from the grid?
Hi All

I have an MPP Solar PIP 5048MK inverter/controller - which is working great with my ground-mounted (6 x 250W) Solar array, and a DIY 10kWh 18650 battery pack (built from recycled e-bike battery packs).

I suspect that during the Winter months, however, I won't get enough solar to keep the batteries fully charged, so I want to be able to charge the batteries from the grid - but only when it's cheap rate. I have been trying to find which of the many available options for the controller/inverter I should change  in order to charge the batteries from the grid (I need to be able to do this when the load being used is minimal, and therefore the grid won't be being used as the source of the LOAD at this time).

My plan is to automate this process so that I can make this change at a specific time-of-day (when my cheap rate for electricity starts).

Thanks for any help offered!
BarryG
Not much in life is free these days - but Solar Energy is!
And what is your question? Just enable AC charging when the rate is low and set the current to charge at and voltage ranges.

Then disable it again later on.
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
Thanks, daromer.

My question is - having read and reread the user manual I can't find an option that allows me to do this. Maybe I'm just being stupid but none of the options I have tried changing, make the inverter start to charge from the grid.....

(I also have to say that the user manual isn't very easy to understand either!)
BarryG
Change menu No:16 from SNU to CSO.
CSO is no solar connected or evening no solar income it
will force charge batteries from AC charger (Grid/Generator)
(05-09-2020, 05:54 PM)Engineer34 Wrote: Change menu No:16 from SNU to CSO.
CSO is no solar connected or evening no solar income it
will force charge batteries from AC charger (Grid/Generator)
Thanks, Engineer34. This option doesn't work that way for me. However, I have got it to work by changing option 01 - "Output source priority".

So now I have the whole thing worked out. Using daromer's solar-sis set-up for the Raspberry Pi, I have a script that I can run (and automate/schedule) to change the inverter/controller to charge from the grid - and back to solar again.

Thanks to all who helped me with this - especially daromer!
BarryG
Yw. though i didnt do much Tongue

Yeah unfortunately the MPP products are a bit hard to understand because some functions dont do what you expect or want them to Big Grin
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
if you want to automate it, set the charge to solar first, and then when you switch the inverter to line mode it will then charge when so solar is avaliable (if your charging at night)

or set it to solar and utility and then it will charge from both solar and grid.

get a orange or raspberry pi and run this

https://github.com/ned-kelly/docker-volt...eassistant

or if you have a computer nearby always connected to the inverter via serial then use mpp solar patrol, and then you can set it to charge from grid from certain time that you set