Choosing an old laptop battery to use a cordless drill

h?seyin

Hello
I am looking for batteries for use in rechargeable drills. Most old laptop batteries are not suitable.
my question is which old laptop batteries have high current current.
like samsung inr18650-25R?
acer
toshiba
hp

lenovo
models vs..?

If there are tool shops in your area, hit them up for old batteries. I'm having good success in my area. Like you say - 30Q and 25R are quite common.

You don't want to use laptop batteries at all in power tools. Because you want high drain current.

25R and 30Q are good options.

Personally, what I'd do if you want to upgrade/replace, look for existing power tool packs in store recycling bins. Pull the cells and bms out of the old packs, combine all good cells, and reassemble into a new pack.

it might be a good idea to not ask when going to Lowe's/HomeDepot (or similar places) and just go diving into the bin and take some electrical tape. When asked what you're doing, saying you are making the cells safer by taping off the connections otherwise it could cause boom because of shorts and pull out some of the packs that are not in bags already and tape them off.
There've been a few people here who have done this trick and were successful for awhile in collecting packs.

te?ekkr ederim. Peki hangi eski dizst bilgisayar pilleriniz var? yksek g piller

Laptop bataryalar?

English only hseyin.

hseyin said:
te?ekkr ederim. Peki hangi eski dizst bilgisayar pilleriniz var? yksek g piller

Laptop bataryalar?

We don't. And that's our point.

Laptops don't need or use high drain cells because they don't need it.

Tool batteries are your best bet.

Yes, you are right. does not need high drain batteries. however, few manufacturers use high drain batteries. I need to find these manufacturers

1) ALL manufacturers who make power tools use high drain cells
2) ALL manufacturers who make laptop packs "don't" use high drain cells
3) If you are going to make a battery pack for powertools, you need high drain cells. Unless you are going to make a 4 parallel or larger pack to handle the amp loads. A drill for example can see upwards of 30A while drilling a hole in wood. A circular saw can see the same thing and have an initial startup surge of 15A or more (rotational mass)
4) We already told you where to get high drain cells. You MUST look for existing powertool packs. Check your local recyclers if you can get them from there. Post ads up on Craigslist, or what ever the equivalent is in your area.

hseyin said:
Yes, you are right. does not need high drain batteries. however, few manufacturers use high drain batteries. I need to find these manufacturers

Any battery from Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, Hitachi and all the respectable others will have high current cells.

THERE IS NO LAPTOP BATTERY THAT HAS HIGH DRAIN CELLS!!!

This has been stated by many people. Not only in this thread, but in others.

If you ask that question 1 more time, I'm going to assume you are a troll and/or bot and will close the thread

hseyin said:
Yeah. So which laptop battery has a high drain current battery?

Do NOT use laptop batteries.. none of them are suitable for this use.

You need to find cells from:
  • Other power tools
  • Hover-boards
  • Scooters
Or anything else that requires high drain cells... or, just buy new cells, which is what I do to rebuild power tools. Its not like you need a bunch of them, and the cost savings trying to get used is small. I get new for piece of mind, and convenience... the premium is small when you only need a few, and the savings over buying a new pack is still there.

Plus, new quality high drain you can end up with better performance and quality.

I did my own small project using Samsung 25R cells... and the performance is EXCELLENT.
https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=4670

You can look as well Dyson battery pack: their vaccums are designed to get 10 to 30 minutes of use and the draw is quite hight.
They seem to use premium batteries.

Back