Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home made battery changer
Update (https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=7768) - I made a DC to DC Constant voltage charger

24v 19amps 35c.  its ran for months now all good.

I bought the 1800wat DC converter off eBay It will not run at this without cooling and high current, out the box it will run at 9-10amps at 80c.  I added a massive heat sink and used 1 high flow fan in an aluminium case..  To power it bought a switching power supply of eBay 
  • I added small dc to dc converter in there as well so I could run the fan at 13.2v to speed it up  Smile
  • A shunt so you can see how much kw/a has gone in
  • 12V plug for using any power supply you want (current will be lower)
  • Upgraded thermal pads 
Just for the safety people out there, the DC convertor has 2 fuses.  I added one more on the output + just in case.

Total cost £43.80

Build time 1 month lol and why did it do it not sure...

It was fun.

Korishan and Crimp Daddy like this post
I can appreciate a good DIY, but with all the options out there from Daygreen and Victron, I highly doubt I would build my own.

That said, the shunt is a nice add! Your finished product does look pretty sweet.
(05-13-2020, 06:41 PM)Crimp Daddy Wrote: I can appreciate a good DIY, but with all the options out there from Daygreen and Victron, I highly doubt I would build my own. 

That said, the shunt is a nice add!  Your finished product does look pretty sweet.

The Victron changer at 24v at 12a cost £170 your looking at over £300 for close to 20a at 24v.

This cost £43.80
(06-05-2020, 01:48 AM)b0re Wrote:
(05-13-2020, 06:41 PM)Crimp Daddy Wrote: I can appreciate a good DIY, but with all the options out there from Daygreen and Victron, I highly doubt I would build my own. 

That said, the shunt is a nice add!  Your finished product does look pretty sweet.

The Victron changer at 24v at 12a cost £170 your looking at over £300 for close to 20a at 24v.

This cost £43.80

My 30a Daygreen unit was $32.38 shipped from AliExpress...  

Victron makes quality gear... I use them in all my mobile applications and its worth the money.
30amps at 24v?