Is it work to mine?

sambills

I'm no stranger to mining.

Back in 2012 I had ASICs
In 2013 I mined two whole bitcoins on an Nvidia 7990 which btw was an awesome card ..
In 2014 I bought 3 x R290x and mined altcoins on a profit switching pool.

then I gave up.

Now, however, I have some free electricity and I'm quite happy to add more solar too since I can get good prices for panels and I actually want to increase my powerwall panels capacity.

So is it worth it ? What are people mining these days ? Etherium ?

We're going to start off as this being in the wrong section. There is a section dedicated to Mining. Moving thread.

I don't find its worth my time, so I don't do it. I make more money just using that time better at work. If I want crypto i'll just buy/trade it like a stock.

Second that. I quit long ago. Keeping upgrading the ASIC/PC to try to stay profitable is a waste of time and money. Really only works for the manufacturers that have customers (ppl like you) who are willing to buy their old hardware.
Electricity is better spent on other things: heating water, cooking, charging EV, selling back to the grid, etc.
Money is better put into stocks. 100% legal, easier to buy/sell, pays dividends, etc.

My the cost of equipment and power will outpace the earnings of crypto... not to mention the time spent to manage and maintain. Do it because you find it interesting, not because you are trying to get rich. There are better ways to do that IMO.

I don't even do any of this battery or powerwall stuff for the money. I do it because it entertains me and I enjoy it. I find value in having the ability to generate and store my own. I have probably spent more time and money in equipment, testers, chargers, batteries, tools and other gear than I can justify from an ROI standpoint. Its like a big adult toy box to me.

CrimpDaddy said:
.......... Its like a big adult toy box to me.............

I second that. I don't do any crypto mining. Just powerwall stuff.
The amount of money I have spent on testing equipment and other things pertaining to solar and storage has been fun.
It entertains me as well and teaches me more and more every day. A year ago I had no clue what a microprocessor was now I am writhing sketches to control servos, relays, fans, measure voltages, amperage, temperature,weather etc.
I was into electronics very deeply when I was a kid and never had the money to fulfill my passion.
Now years later and a great income stream, I do, so whatever I need I buy it and have fun with it.
Besides it keeps me out of the bars where I would spend twice that much.
Now the only complaint I get from the SO is "Are you going to play with that stuff all night?" rather than "Are you going out to drink again?"

Wolf

Wolf said:
Now the only complaint I get from the SO is "Are you going to play with that stuff all night?" rather than "Are you going out to drink again?"

Instead of coming home/bed with the smell of perfume and cigarettes, comes with the smell of burnt electronics and a cloud of magic smoke wafting about :p

Wolf said:
CrimpDaddy said:
.......... Its like a big adult toy box to me.............

I was into electronics very deeply when I was a kid and never had the money to fulfill my passion.

Wolf

This is like 100% my life as a kid. Grew up without the financial resources to enjoy many many things.

Perhaps I am overcompensating as an adult, but I don't care. These are my toys and how I choose to spend my hard earned coin.

Korishan said:
Instead of coming home/bed with the smell of perfume and cigarettes, comes with the smell of burnt electronics and a cloud of magic smoke wafting about :p

And if it was areally fun evening, the very pungent anddistinct smell of burned/electrocuted skin:dodgy:

I am new to the whole powerwall/solar thing but have been mining for some time. Currently I am mining some XMR off of my solar setup 80 watts per hour and Ether/Bitcoin on my other rigs from the grid but with the hope of mining off of my powerwall once it is done.

Back