Victron Products

johnallinson

I'm just about finished my 14S100P LiIon 18650 battery and for my home solar/powerwallI'm starting to look at what inverters etc to get. I'm going to lean towards the Victron products for their support, low idle and quality but I'm getting lost amongst their product offering. I'm sure its a need but I want to use/save the power I make, sell any excess to the grid and draw from the grid if needed (Be as independent as possible) and be able to monitor it from the net. Does the Easy Solar II offer everything in one or should I go a Multiplus II with a MPPT charger separately? What are other people Victron set ups and why have you chosen them?

+1 for the Victron gear, use it myself.
I've gone for separate components for flexibility & reduced impact if there's a fault.
I'm not attempting to grid feed here.
But if you're less technical, a more integrated unit like the Easy Solar might suit better.

Redpacket said:
+1 for the Victron gear, use it myself.
I've gone for separate components for flexibility & reduced impact if there's a fault.
I'm not attempting to grid feed here.
But if you're less technical, a more integrated unit like the Easy Solar might suit better.

Good point. What components have you used in your system?

My system has:
- a MultiPlus(v1) 48V/5000kVA inverter
- 3x 150/60 BlueSolar MPPTs (I have a 24x 325W panel array divided into 3 sections)
- a BMV-712 + with shunt as my main tracking of the battery bank SoC
I monitor & balance with Batrium Watchmon v1 & 64x Longmons, this also tracks SoC
I monitor the Victron gear with a custom Raspberry Pi based on the PvMonit project. This logs most data & provides a web interface with predicted weather too.

Here's the summary screen:
image_klggjk.jpg

I had a Victron 3kW Multiplus (inverter and charger), the 48V 3000W model
It was exposed to approx 500W on average loads for it's entire lifetime.
It failed when driving a load approx 400W.
It ran for 25 months. Warranty was 24 months. $2,700 AU for 2 years....
I chose to take that as the source of energy to make my own inverters.
1 year later...

I have now 2 home built inverters, one that has powered the house for 1 year 9 months.
Cost is about $200 and I can repair it when it blows.
So that's the Victron inverters.

Their charge controllers are another matter.
I like particularly their 150/35 mppt controllers. Cheap at $400 and seem to be robust. So far.
Even then I am in the middle of developing a home built 45A mppt
charge controller.

I like open source code and open designs. Anybody else?

Interesting, sorry to hear - what was the load it didn't like?
Any pics of your inverters you could share?
Yeah enjoy building things too but time & complexity aren't always there for me!

Back