My first completed project...

VipZ28

Just finished my first project, and wanted to share. I certainly made some mistakes along the way, and there are things I would change if I did it again, so I'll share those too in case people find it useful. Also looking for some advice, which I'll ask at the end.

The finished project:

image_bskiac.jpg

I installed a Sol-Ark 12K with 56 used leaf cells. The pack is giving me right at 17kWh with the voltage range 46-57v in a 7s8p (I mean, technically each module is 2s2p so... maybe 14s16p?) configuration and is running my entire house (save for the 2 electric car chargers) over night.

The Sol-Ark is awesome. Ridiculouscustomization and their support is top notch when I had programming questions. My only complaint is the remote monitoring software has a long way to go to catch up to some of the competitors, but it's there and it works (mostly).Would recommend, despite the price, but I would suggest you install it as part of a solar installation and use it as an all in one system. I'm wasting quite a bit of it's capability because my solar is A/C coupled.

I used a complete 7s BMS setup I found on ebay specifically for leaf cells,which essentially makes each stack it's own usable battery. I like the circuit board connection, but the BMS is the cheap chinese ones we see everywhere, and the set points are very inconsistent, as is the voltage measuring display. Also, in speaking with the seller they represented the BMS as having a cut off feature, but it does not, just an audible alarm. Wasted a few hundred bucks here in my opinion.

If I were to do it again here's what I would change:

1. Not use those BMS systems. Almost useless honestly, but they are nice and neat...
2. I should have used a deeper gutter (8" instead of 6") and left more space between the Sol-Ark and gutter. It was tough to work in the 2" space, and I can't use the solar cut off (my solar is all A/C coupled so I don't need it at this time anyways)
3. Doubled the size of the battery from the start :)

Question that I have:
1. Do I need to balance between the parallel stacks or would that be handled by the fact they are all connected?
2. Should I add a BMS for the whole pack?
3. Is CANBUS a universal protocol or just a connection method (I'm wondering if Batrium can interact with the Sol-Ark, it supports CANBUS and RS-485 for BMS communication)

Thanks for reading!

1. Not of they are connected
2. Not unless you remove what you have.
3. Canbus is just a protocol standard. Just because 2 humans can speak English doesnt say they understand each other :) for batrium look at their website what inverters they support.

Congratulations - looks really nice. Its so much FUN to get it all working. I've been watching Sol-Ark on @Engineer775 youtube but its too late for me - I went off-grid withMidnite Classic + AIMS inverters. I'm over 2yrs now and still track everything day by day and tinker with optimizing battery DOD and planning to hook up more of the house.

>1. Not use those BMS systems. Almost useless honestly, but they are nice and neat...
I did gowith Batrium and pretty happy with that choice. You could switch over...

[size=small]>2. I should have used a deeper gutter[/size]
[size=small]Yep, bigger boxes just make wiring easier and make it easier to expand next year- but they do cost a bit more [/size]

[size=small][size=small]>3. Doubled the size of the battery from the start[/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]HA! I started with 14s120p and now (3 yrs later) I'm up to 6 of them. Part of it is $ + it would be hard to spend so much in a single order (to double your size) without really trustingyour source. I don't see anything to keep you from expanding - that box can get go higher and deeper :)[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]>1. Do I need to balance between the parallel stacks or would that be handled by the fact they are all connected?[/size][/size]
Parallel means they are forced toshare the same voltage - so if I'm understandingyour thought here, then no there's nothing to balance.

[size=small]>2. Should I add a BMS for the whole pack?[/size]
[size=small]I've enjoyed Batrium - just added a another 'battery' yesterday and Batrium makes it really easy to add on. I'm up to 84 (6 x 14s) cells (packs) and its working great.[/size]

[size=small][size=small]>3. Is CANBUS a universal protocol or just a connection method (I'm wondering if Batrium can interact with the Sol-Ark, it supports CANBUS and RS-485 for BMS communication)[/size][/size]
[size=small]Don't know anything about this one.[/size]

[size=small]It sounds like you're grid-tied thru the Sol-Ark? What is it that you'd like Sol-Ark to control?[/size]
(I'm off-grid and use the Midnite Classics to control the inverters on/off based on battery voltage + Batrium for shunt-trip (BMS) protection and power is fed into house via ATSs. So I'm not sure what you have in mind to 'control' via the Sol-Ark in relation to the BMS.)

OffGridInTheCity said:
Congratulations - looks really nice. Its so much FUN to get it all working. I've been watching Sol-Ark on @Engineer775 youtube but its too late for me - I went off-grid withMidnite Classic + AIMS inverters. I'm over 2yrs now and still track everything day by day and tinker with optimizing battery DOD and planning to hook up more of the house.

>1. Not use those BMS systems. Almost useless honestly, but they are nice and neat...
I did gowith Batrium and pretty happy with that choice. You could switch over...

[size=small]>2. I should have used a deeper gutter[/size]
[size=small]Yep, bigger boxes just make wiring easier and make it easier to expand next year- but they do cost a bit more [/size]

[size=small][size=small]>3. Doubled the size of the battery from the start[/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]HA! I started with 14s120p and now (3 yrs later) I'm up to 6 of them. Part of it is $ + it would be hard to spend so much in a single order (to double your size) without really trustingyour source. I don't see anything to keep you from expanding - that box can get go higher and deeper :)[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]>1. Do I need to balance between the parallel stacks or would that be handled by the fact they are all connected?[/size][/size]
Parallel means they are forced toshare the same voltage - so if I'm understandingyour thought here, then no there's nothing to balance.

[size=small]>2. Should I add a BMS for the whole pack?[/size]
[size=small]I've enjoyed Batrium - just added a another 'battery' yesterday and Batrium makes it really easy to add on. I'm up to 84 (6 x 14s) cells (packs) and its working great.[/size]

[size=small][size=small]>3. Is CANBUS a universal protocol or just a connection method (I'm wondering if Batrium can interact with the Sol-Ark, it supports CANBUS and RS-485 for BMS communication)[/size][/size]
[size=small]Don't know anything about this one.[/size]

[size=small]It sounds like you're grid-tied thru the Sol-Ark? What is it that you'd like Sol-Ark to control?[/size]
(I'm off-grid and use the Midnite Classics to control the inverters on/off based on battery voltage + Batrium for shunt-trip (BMS) protection and power is fed into house via ATSs. So I'm not sure what you have in mind to 'control' via the Sol-Ark in relation to the BMS.)

Yes I'm grid tied through the Sol-Ark. I've got 13kW of A/C coupled solar on it so it charges the batteries first thing in the morning and then sells back the excess once done. The sol-ark can communicate with the BMS to give individual cell voltage, temps, and read the max/min voltage and current from the settings in the BMS, it's just a nice way to get everything in one management console if supported.

Good then I've understood properly on the parallel packs.

VipZ28 said:
is running my entire house (save for the 2 electric car chargers) over night.

I assume you've excluded the EV chargers due to the much too high current requirements? Any future plans for charging your car(s)?

I currently use a 16A/200V dongle-charger with a timer (summer 9am~4pm with solar; winter 11pm~7am off peak). I'm working on installing an EV charger that can be configured down to just 8A (so 1.6kW at 200V, or 800W if using 100V). The current is low enough to be directly switched with a Wifi SmartPlug... but probably going to add a contactor so that I can use 16A when required. I'm going to have a RaspberryPi automatically turn on whenever I have sufficient solar/battery power, off when not... and intelligently use off peak power as a last resort.
I have a PHEV with a small battery, so that makes planning easier in that completing charging is optional and not a requirement.

ajw22 said:
VipZ28 said:
is running my entire house (save for the 2 electric car chargers) over night.

I assume you've excluded the EV chargers due to the much too high current requirements? Any future plans for charging your car(s)?

I currently use a 16A/200V dongle-charger with a timer (summer 9am~4pm with solar; winter 11pm~7am off peak). I'm working on installing an EV charger that can be configured down to just 8A (so 1.6kW at 200V, or 800W if using 100V). The current is low enough to be directly switched with a Wifi SmartPlug... but probably going to add a contactor so that I can use 16A when required. I'm going to have a RaspberryPi automatically turn on whenever I have sufficient solar/battery power, off when not... and intelligently use off peak power as a last resort.
I have a PHEV with a small battery, so that makes planning easier in that completing charging is optional and not a requirement.
Yeah the tesla charges at 11kw. No point in trying that with a single inverter and small battery. I have a 1.2/2.4kw plug in charger i can use if there is an extended power outage.

@vipz28 Wondering if you ended up doing anything wrt the BMS? I just wrapped up my initial setup with a Batrium and will be researching on how to connect to my Sol-Ark 12k. Batrium can tailor communication protocol for a number of inverters so my hope is that one of those will work with the Sol-Ark (Sol-Ark mentions they support 'Sundraft v4' which I believe is open source based on SMA inverters which is one of the inverter profiles that you can select in the Batrium software

Solardad said:
@vipz28 Wondering if you ended up doing anything wrt the BMS? I just wrapped up my initial setup with a Batrium and will be researching on how to connect to my Sol-Ark 12k. Batrium can tailor communication protocol for a number of inverters so my hope is that one of those will work with the Sol-Ark (Sol-Ark mentions they support 'Sundraft v4' which I believe is open source based on SMA inverters which is one of the inverter profiles that you can select in the Batrium software
I ended up using the crappy independent BMSs I had already bought. I should have bought the Batrium from the start. Live and learn, next iteration perhaps.

Back