A little help for this idiot plz

zerberfert

Hello again,

I have been processing and testing cells it seems like forever now (only 1.5 months, lol). I finally got some balance leads for my Imax b6 and tried to hook them up. Here is the first thread about my process: https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=9009&pid=61572#pid61572

At first I hooked up the balance leads by soldering them but when it didn't work I added the alligator clips for testing purposes. So I have a 1s16p charging set up as you can see. The black balance wire is going to - and the white balance lead is going to +. When I go into settings it shows the voltage just fine, but when I go to charge it and press start it tells me no battery. I know I'm an idiot but what am I doing wrong. As far as I can tell I am doing exactly what Crimp Daddy showed me in the picture from the above thread (I think anyways). I have to be doing something wrong but can't figure out what.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Zerb

image_wqrrvj.jpg

image_gfnjxn.jpg

If charger is working, sense leads are showing proper 4.0v, the maybe its telling you to 'select a proper battery type from the menu'? (rather than saying it can't find 4.0v battery?). I know - it can just drive one nuts sometimes!!

Thanks for all the comments so far. However, I am still having issues. The charger works just fine without the balance wires attached. I have some better pictures now and will try to walk thru the steps I am taking.

1. Battery meater

image_ipvvvj.jpg

when I click enter this shows up:

image_vpjbku.jpg

2. I select Lipo from menu

image_mrjvyr.jpg

when I click enter I see this:

image_gwimqw.jpg

This is the normal screen I see when I charge without the balance wires.

5. When I click enter I see this:

image_vtkzvp.jpg

I had to go back and double check. My last picture wasn't very good. So here is another one that shows every is plugged in.

image_bvclmd.jpg

I know I am missing something easy but just can't figure it out.

Again thanks for all the help so far,

Zerb

Is there a Program > Balance Charge option, instead of just "Charge"?

Do you know if your imax is a clone or genuine? Perhaps this is an issue or limitation with the IMAX B6... you would not be the first person to have issues with something like this using this charger.

Thanks for trying to help.

I think it is a genuine b6 and not a clone. I didn't go thru ebay or china. I tried to do a little research before buying. They clone is not suppose to have the vent slots on the back or the holo sticker. Plus the genuine has gold +/- charge ports, or so I read.

image_kdqxyz.jpg

It does have a balance charge, however it only goes down to 1s. If you hit the left arrow while it is on 2s it goes straight to 6s.

image_vgctdf.jpg

Not sure why all my pictures are turning sideways, it show right side up before I post. Weird

Well - next I would try... take the 18650 holder out of the picture... and does it work with *any* battery - just touching the charge leads directly to it?

So when connecting you need both sets of wires, eg:
- the main XT60 plug, and
- the correct balance leads for the 1st cell ie closest to 0V on the balance lead set of wires

@OffGridInTheCity - No making fun of my jerry-rigging. I tookthe holder out of the equation. This is the only non-conductive way I could think of connect it. It showed voltage under Batt Meter. Still showing no battery. I think the B6 can not charge in 1s with the balance leads attached.

image_ktqtai.jpg

@Redpacket

The main XT60 is hooked up

The balance leads are attached. The - black wire (from balance wires) to negative, the 1st positive (white balance wires) to +.

You are doing things correctly.

This has got to be a limitation of the charger, or a limitation of the firmware in the charger... this is not the first time someone with an imax had the same problem.

Most RC chargers I work with can do it... unfortunate you are not able to do the same.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I broke down and ordered an iCharger 4010Duo. It should be here either tomorrow or Friday. I will be able to charge so many more batteries at one time with that. I also have 10 LiitoKala Lii-500 on the way. I bought 5400 of the batteries in the other post I posted today. I will be testing batteries for the next 10 years it seems.

zerberfert said:

I broke down and ordered an iCharger 4010Duo. It should be here either tomorrow or Friday. I will be able to charge so many more batteries at one time with that. I also have 10 LiitoKala Lii-500 on the way. I bought 5400 of the batteries in the other post I posted today. I will be testing batteries for the next 10 years it seems.
I'm with you - sometimes you just got to spend some $ and 'move on'... :)

zerberfert said:

That is a lot of cells 5400 cells or 10800 cells? either way you will be busy for quite some time.
Planning on using the icharger 4010duo to preharge the cells?
Later floyd

A total of 5400 cells. I bought the guy out. Spent way too much. Girlfriend is bitching. I have to get the system up soon to same on elec. bill to shut her up. The only problem is I have a lot more stuff to buy (inverter, solar panels, etc...)

Yea, going to use the iCharger to precharge all the batteries and the LiitoKala Lii-500's to test them. Still going to take forever.

He must have gotten more in, seems like he has an endless supply of the various cells he sells. if I were just starting I would buy some but I already have 1160 more cells I need to liberate from the 20 cell batteries I have on hand. spent the last 3 months taking apart the first 60 batteries and testing.
later floyd

Balance Charge can only run on 2s or more. Just run normal Charge. That One goes from 1s

@daromer I was just trying to get the balance leads to work with a 1s setup. It won't work on my b6. I'll just charge them without the balance leads connected.

Back