Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batrium LongMon issue
Initial postage cost. 2 longmons is basically Same size packages as a system since it need to be protected.

Its a traceable package
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
(05-29-2020, 11:35 AM)daromer Wrote: Bypass current should max be 1a. I have swapped out many longmons because of this.
Cool - thanks for that tip.  I just lowered mine from 1.25a to 1.0a Smile
(05-29-2020, 11:35 AM)daromer Wrote: Bypass current should max be 1a. I have swapped out many longmons because of this.
Or
See https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread...9#pid62899
With that said if you let the BMS do its job you dont have to bother. I have my system running for many years and the only thing i have done so far is swapped our a couple of longmons that stopped working. The battery bank itself is running.

Um I'm confused now. Huh
Is a couple many or many a couple Tongue 

BTW my bypass is set to 0.86 and 65°C  if it ever needs it.

Wolf
For Info Google Drive

Great ABB shunt breaker seller River City Industrial
Great prices and superb service.
 [Image: em2566%20(1)__19172.1521541365.jpg?c=2]

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool

That is another thing what I don't like about Batrium. Longmon spec says: "shunting power up to 2A (7W with fan cooling) or typically 1A of bypass without cooling". If you use default values from Batrium tools it will set max bypass to 1.74A, which is too high for "typical" scenario. Maybe it is just me, but I would expect default settings to be correct for "typical" scenario (maybe wizard should ask if you have cooling in place or not), and having extra cooling is definitely not "typical" scenario.
Not many people are reading manuals, especially when there is no physical copy attached to the product. When you starting Batrium tools you get nice warning about how dangerous and risky it is to change the settings if you don't know what you are doing. Not sure what about You, but when I saw this warning I thought "hmm I should keep the default values unless I read a bit more to find out which setting are for what". So if the default values are not safe for the system or product itself, it is not great.
Luckily for me I have fan cooling in place so that doesn't really matters to me, but it is not difficult to imagine scenario when someone can significantly reduce cell monitor life (or even damaged it) by not reading instruction just using default values (and that could be quite expensive mistake).