Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outback charge controller not using all of the arrays volts
(06-09-2020, 07:18 AM)gpn Wrote: This thread is a lot easier to understand after a few drinks!

Ha I like that! I quit drinking quite a while ago but now I am reconsidering...........

Just kidding.

Wolf
For Info Google Drive

Great ABB shunt breaker seller River City Industrial
Great prices and superb service.
 [Image: em2566%20(1)__19172.1521541365.jpg?c=2]

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
Ok at this point I figured everyone reading would know I’m referring to 48v nominal and 60v nominal... 60v nominal is the max battery the outback can charge and the best array Vmp for that battery to insure the most optimal-most efficient mpp voltage is achieved for that battery is 80-90v.. yes 80-90v is the most efficient mpp voltage for the 60v battery.. it is shown in the graphs that if there is an input voltage higher that the controller becomes less efficient..
so if anyone can follow that, it means that for a 60v nominal battery don’t use an array over 90v or efficiency will suffer and less losses..
yes the outback says an array can be used up to 150v max.. I wouldn’t recommend that array over 80-90v is used for best efficiency for the max nominal battery voltage the controller can charge... again the graphs show to only use an array voltage high enough to achieve the most efficient mpp voltage. So again for the most efficient setup use a do not use a combined voltage (nominal battery + array Vmp) over 150v for the max battery 60v battery the controller can charge.. for a 48v battery the combined number is lower than 150v and as I described the combined number for a 48v nominal battery is more like roughly 123v any higher than 123v combined is less efficient..thinking of it this way gets ppl away from thinking that using a 120v array (instead of a 75v array Vmp) for a 48v nominal battery is Just as efficient . using a 120vmp array will be less efficient than a 75vmp array, the graphs show this.. since using a 120v array is less efficient than using a 75v array that means that a person will receive less percentage of power from there array...
So for me I shouldn’t have a combined voltage over 150v and no one with a battery voltage lower than 60v nominal should have a combined voltage over 150v either, as a matter of fact they should have a much lower combined voltage than 150v for best efficiency when using the 48v nominal battery
You are Still wrong and just try to screw the Numbers. The best efficiency totally depends on the manufacturer and have nothing to do with those 150.... The best efficiency is different from system to system..feel free to Read Up on their datasheets (that you Still havent done)
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
(06-09-2020, 03:07 PM)Doin it Wrote: yes the outback says an array can be used up to 150v max..

Just fyi, for eveyone else, the above is true for Voc of the panel and not Vmp. He keeps confusing numbers to the point he actually believes in what he makes up and start recommending to other people to follow his thought. Quite absurd.

The Voc is the solar panel at open circuit, which is when the panel isn't loaded and able to produce the maximum voltage. The Vmp is the voltage at max power, which is always lower. For example a solar panel might have a Vmp of 33.4V while the Voc is 40.2V.

So for a controller that can handle 150V max, it means you don't want the maximum voltage the panel can provide.

Using sample panel Vmp 33.4V and Voc 40.2V
3S (3 in series) the Vmp is 33.4V*3=100.2V and Voc is 40.2V * 3 = 120.6V (GOOD)
4S (4 in series) the Vmp is 33.4*4=133.6V and the Voc 40.2V * 4 = 160.8V (BAD TOO HIGH VOLTAGE)

Using sample panel Vmp 26.8 and Voc 34.5V
3S (3 in series) the Vmp is 26.8V*3=80.4V and Voc is 34.5 * 3 = 103.5V (GOOD)
4S (4 in series) the Vmp is 26.8V*4=107.2V and the Voc 34.5V * 4 = 138V (GOOD)

So all that matters is that your Voc does not exceed 150V.

And not the nonsense of the Battery + PV that he's trying to convince you.
I guess I had to say 150v was voc... I figured that was known.. I have read the data sheets-graphs but it seems like others are avoiding what the graphs-data sheets say. By using array voc-Vmp higher than is needed for the battery, therefor losing efficiency and not getting as much power from their array as they could be with a lower vmp-voc that is more efficient-less losses..
Yes Not2bme 100vmp and 107vmp (as u describe) are good and can be used with 48v (nominal) and 60v (nominal) batteries but if the graphs are looked at it will be seen that a lower than 100vmp or 107vmp array should be used for better efficiency. Can u see how the closer the array is to the actual battery voltage the better the efficiency is?, therefor getting more power from an array with the same wattage.. so again the max combined voltage for BEST EFFICIENCY-least amount of losses, is 150v (Vmp + nominal battery voltage) for 60v battery and any battery voltage lower with a lower nominal voltage should have a combined voltage lower than 150v..

Not2bme if u would have added a Vmp of 80v with the other voltages u chose to write about, the 80v could have been labeled as “better” (for 48v nominal battery).. yes 100vmp (as u described) is still “good” for a 48v (nominal) battery but not as efficient as an 80vmp would be for that battery... this is shown on the power curve pics
Closing this thread.

The 150V value that you indicate is nonsense and bogus. There are NO RELATION to max voltage that is 150 to a combined voltage.

Just because your values lined up here doesnt make them a thing.
You have gotten stuck at a value that is not real. We all agree that efficiency depends but this varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Efficiency is not all either because in some areas another configuration actually gives you more wattage in the output.
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh