Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outback charge controller not using all of the arrays volts
(06-03-2020, 01:48 PM)Doin it Wrote: Red,, I have to say I disagree bud.
U are saying I should expect 1000 less watts from my array and it’s only a 3660w array..!! I wasn’t stating the voc, I was stating the vmp.

I'll have to leave it to you.
I'm just trying to show you which part of the manufacturers specs you should be reading.
Good luck.
OffGridInTheCity likes this post
Running off solar, DIY & electronics fan :-)
Thanks anyways for your help red, there is many times I have got well over 2690w sustained, actually I never had as low as 2690w sustained at max pv output unless it was cloudy or early in the day-late in the day. I understand basic loses due to some of the things some of u explained, but many ppl get real close to sustained watts of the Vmp x imp.
I’m ok with a few hundred watts under 3660 when it’s the time of day the panels should be putting out close to their max but not 560w less like I’m getting (sometimes more) let alone 1000w less.

I have now chose U-pick MPPT (instead of auto detect) on the outback charge controller and raised the park mppt voltage to 82% of array voc instead of the factory default of 77%. I will see tomorrow if somehow this gives me more of the arrays power. Doubtful
Once again the voltage from the panels can be up to 145 without issues. If the mppt controller have that "issue" descirbes turn it back asap.... NO charger out there have that limitation when it comes to full buck boost features with MPPT. That would be stupid.

I highly recommend changing controller if thats the problem. Go PCM60x or any of the others that can handle it correctly and dont lack issues with bucking the voltage down!

And yes you dont get the full wattage out of the panels but you should get close to it. Depending on temperature it varies generally up to 20% below max and in some rare conditions 5-10% above for short amount of times.
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
Daromer, can u explain why the text below doesn’t make sense?
all the above i mentioned is actually reasons why we can’t use the 150v controllers to charge a battery over 72v,,, 150v - 72v battery = 78v array max (which can but barely still charge a 72v battery because 78v is higher than 72v) that can be used and still get all the power from the array. If they (outback-midnite) for instance said we can charge an 84v battery (they don’t say that) then 150v - 84v = 66v array which isn’t high enough to charge and 84v battery and this is why we cant charge a battery over 60v72v with these 150v charge controllers

Another way to look at this-understand it,,
if the array was 130vmp then why can’t we charge a 96v battery with the 150v charge controller? Simply put, it’s because 130v array + 96v battery equals 226v which is higher than the 150v that the 150v charge controllers can handle. This is the same reason we can’t charge an 84v battery with these 150v controllers. And same reason 72v is the highest battery voltage the midnite 150v can charge. 150v - 72v battery = 78v which is still over the battery voltage so charging can happen, although if the array is over 78v then u will lose all-most of the volts over 78v from array.
I think this limitation is clear due to the math making sense and the fact that we cant use these 150v controllers for any battery over 72v .. it would seem since the array can be 145-150v, that the controller should be able to charge a higher voltage battery than 72v.., but obviously it can’t due to the limitation I listed above.. again I can understand why this isn’t a more talked about-understood issue due to most ppl (probably 99%) using batteries under 48v, (again I’m using 60v) so an array over 102v would never be used for 48v battery and under
(06-01-2020, 02:04 PM)Doin it Wrote:   6 longi solar panels and 6 Canadian panel all with the same specs.. this issue isn’t related to the temp outside... I get very close to the same amount of watts all year

Have you tried hooking it up in different configurations? Try with 6 Longi first, then 6 Canadian. If you're getting the rated output, then start doing different test, like 3 Longi and 3 Canadian.

If you have all strings tied into a solar combiner box, then each string should be fused/breaker. Should be an easy thing to test.
I dont argue with that but all other controllers dont care. I out should be baovr battery and below 150vdc. Never herd that the difference need to be a certai. Way. Like My controllers here run around 120vdc input and battery is 55v. Max input is 150vdc Still.

Most systems have an input stage and One output. In the middle you have a central stage. That may not be true for all. Ut those dlne properly have an output stage that have a set characteristics and thats why max is for instance 60vdc due go limits in Components. Input have its limits as well IF that makes sence?

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
not2bme, I’d assume since the volts would stay the same that I would see the same results, with just 6 panels I’d see half of the loss of wattage with 12 panels, and with 3 panels I’d see 1/3 the loss..
issue still remains,,, if the wattage being lost is because the combined voltage is over 150v.. or it’s just typical losses,, unfortunately the only way I am seeing atm to truly test this is to have my array voltage closer to the mppt voltage that I am seeing when production-watts should be at their highest, that’s roughly 84.9v.. And coincidentally that mppt voltage is the difference between 150v and the battery voltage (battery 65.1 + array 84.9 =150v).. I’m thinking it’s more than a coincidence, I’m thinking it’s happening due to the 150v max battery+array cant be exceeded so all the power from array can be used at max production.

Daromer are u saying u have a 150v charge controller?
and your array inputs a sustained 120v input to controller at max production?
Also is 55v your top charge value?
What is your voltage from array into the charge controller?
Yes. Pcm60x. This strange scenario must be with just that controller.....all normal controller have the input values correct where max is max 150vdc input and the only thing is that input is higher than output but lower than max.
Nothing about combined voltage..... I

Daromer is your array 120vmp and the controller has 120v input from array at max production?
Yes i have done that. Same as many others have. It settles att aroump vmp
As Said limit on the pcm60x is 150vdc input regardless of battery voltage. Battery voltage Is 12-48v with max of 58 i think it was. Only thing is that panel input is above battery