Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
18650 trolling battery solar charging
Did you get a chance to try it out?   How did it perform with your motor?  did it provide as much run-time as you'd hoped?

Agree with @Crimp Daddy on 'direct alternator charging' - not good for the battery or the alternator.  Part of the reason is that lead-acid is high resistance to charge - e.g. its hard to push amps into it and the alternator is tuned for that.   The Lithium-ion has no such problem and can just suck amps - possibly overloading your alternator.   Here's a reasonabl youtube explaining things..   https://youtu.be/jgoIocPgOug

Also, @Crimp Daddy makes a great point on RC charger.
Crimp Daddy likes this post
(07-04-2020, 12:52 AM)OffGridInTheCity Wrote: Did you get a chance to try it out?   How did it perform with your motor?  did it provide as much run-time as you'd hoped?

Agree with @Crimp Daddy on 'direct alternator charging' - not good for the battery or the alternator.  Part of the reason is that lead-acid is high resistance to charge - e.g. its hard to push amps into it and the alternator is tuned for that.   The Lithium-ion has no such problem and can just suck amps - possibly overloading your alternator.   Here's a reasonabl youtube explaining things..   https://youtu.be/jgoIocPgOug

Also, @Crimp Daddy makes a great point on RC charger.

No haven't tried it yet, I'm leaving tomorrow so will find out how it works in a few days.

As far as the RC charger goes.. I ordered one that was AC and also took DC input as well and that was my backup for if there was a lack of sun. I was going to attach the lead acid to the RC charger to then charge the LI packs. And I could quickly throw the lead acid on the jumper cables to keep it topped off.. Unfortunately Amazon had lost my order and it looks like I will leave on the trip before it arrives.
So the trip went well both batteries worked great. I ended up having to use my 100a BMS that had the split charging, but it turns out I actually like that set up just fine. I built both of them into plastic ammo containers from harbor freight.. and because i had separate charging for the 26650 battery I made I used connectors to disconnect/connect the terminals for either charging or powering the motor. And I like this because I can just leave it un-plugged and the top terminals are dead. So I'm going to add in a XT90 connector for my 18650 battery as well. Currently its wired up directly to the terminals so they are always live, so being able to unplug it would make it easier for storage.

I built in a volt meter and water proof switch into the top of the battery so I could keep an eye on the state of charge, 

As far as how they performed they did great. I went out for about 4ish hours of fishing each time I went out and was not conservative at all. So full speed from one spot to the next and then reg slow trolling when actually fishing. The voltage of the 18650 started at 12.4v and after done was down to 11.7v. While the 26650 started out at 13.5v and ended and 13v, after charging with the solar got it back up to 13.4v and ended again at 13v after another day of fishing. 

speed was slightly different between the 2 but honestly it was not much different. The 18650 is a much lighter battery so that is a good option for portages..

and here is a look at the lake and canoe setup.

thanks for all your help guys!
OffGridInTheCity likes this post