TP4056 temperature cut-off?

krlenjuska

Is there any easy way to add temp sensor/cut-off circuit to this module? This way i can charge multiple cells without touching them every 15 minutes.

krlenjuska said:
Is there any easy way to add temp sensor/cut-off circuit to this module? This way i can charge multiple cells without touching them every 15 minutes.

The data sheet does show how to connect an NTC sensor to the battery.

https://www.best-microcontroller-projects.com/tp4056.html

t
his site does have an example R1 / R2 calculation for a 5-45 degC range..

Only difficult part then is determining WHY the charge terminated.... it'll stop charging and you wont know why?

Yeah i know about that thread - i think its not good option because charging will continue after temeprature is back to normal (not sure about this).
Better option is to create some separate circuit to cut-off input voltage (and stay like this) to TP4056 when temperature is lets say 40C.
Something like automatic fuse for temperature.

well you can just lift the CE pin and latch that to 'cut-power'. its pulled high (well, tied)... insert a tiny 0402 100k resistor to the pin and then pull the pin LOW to disable the charger..

you could hookup a Arduino .. NTC sensor to the AD0-15 pins.. use an output to pull the CE low to stop the charging if temps go > XX degC.. pop and LED and resistor on that output too so you can see which one it has 'tripped'.

Arduino is easy to learn when it comes to something simple like that. You'd only need a transistor to be used as the switch and trigger it using a pin on the Ard. Then use the other pin to monitor the temps with an NTC

How many chanels can i have on some basic arduino board? Lets say i want to add 10 or 20 NTCs for every battery slot.

NTC's are usually what's called 1 wire. So 1 connection goes to VCC, the other to an Analog pin.

Then you'd need 1 pin for each "switch" to toggle the TP. So effectively on a barebones Arduino Mega you could run at least 25-30 logic level 5V transistors (you'd want specifically at a FET type transistor for this job, btw)

And when looking at the datasheet of the FET, you want one that resembles this graph, to make sure it's fully on at 5V

image_rrbvib.jpg

Then there are other types of Thermistors that are connected in series (can't remember which one off the top of my head) that would allow you to use only 1, maybe 2, analog pins. This would allow you to double how many FETs you can trigger.
And then, if you wanted to go with multiplexing, you basically could go with unlimited connections. But that does get a little more in to the elbows deep in code :p

Found a one-wire thermister: https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS18B20.pdf

I just tried to use this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32841320766.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dOhyOo3
thermal sensor with some mosfet and everything works as it should. This sensor is easy to put in battery holder in order to have good contact with battery.
Also its easy to set maximum temperature. I connected gate with ground using this module and after battery reached 35c TP4056 is turned off.
I guess i dont have to worry about your "fully open" mosfet - 1A is maximum load here.
If you have any reccomendation about mosfet model - im here.

The link doesn't work. "Item can't be shipped to ....." I tried US, UK, Aus.

Yeah no shipment option after covid-19. I ordered from them earlier but i forgot i have 2 pieces of this module. BTW they made mistake - i ordered some voltmeters :)

wow wow 1-wire comms and a high amperage FET for an Arduino n00b?

Circuit from above link, use R1 and R2 values. bring the TEMP node into
(E48) R2 = 86600
(E48) R1 = 4870

use a digital outputconnect to PIN 8 of the TP4056 module. Lift that pin and connect a 100k resistor to +Input power..

If you want to do somewhat complex functions like this you'll need to learn-to-code :)A good lockdown project 101 in ADC, logic and basic electronics..

image_jwkbra.jpg

This should get you started...

Oh I forgot a 'button input' which allows you to 'reset' your lock-out logic.

You could also monitor battery voltage with another ADC input, and use another ADC input to monitor charge current too! There is a calculation for the voltage at Rprog to equate to charge current :) bonus points.

I decided to use simple thermostat modules - no need to lift pin from TP4056 - its to small for my skills.
This way is much easier for me. Every module have temperature display - much better option for me.
I ordered 20 modules and IRF520 mosfets.
I tested this and its perfect. Also i added push button to reset mosfet and turn on TP4056 again.

Thanks for your help!

Use proper 1-wire sensors like the ds18b20. Then you can hook up 50+ easy sensors on 1 pin :)

I could have recommended a fet to but im totally tired so dont remember the numbers

Back