Where to get cells in australia

WillK78

noobie here, Guys wondering where either i can get cheap modem batteries or laptop batteries in Australia somewhere can be either in Sydney or Canberra or online if out of those areas. Also is battery hookup good place to buy from Australia?

I too have just started out searching for cells. I found the first 100 cells pretty easy just from ald tool batteries and asking in a battery shop.

This week i stepped up my search and started canvasing battery and computer shops. I was about to give up asking myself, Is this really what i want to do?? I was also considering paying for recovered some cells on Ebay.

Today i decided to ask in a computer shop that i was driving past and the guy went out the back and came back with box after box of old laptop batteries. 92 in total. I offered him some money but he wouldn't take it.

So just keep asking and looking, you will find some.

I too was hitting brick walls asking people I knew in the IT industry, getting only a handful of cells in a couple of months. One day I asked a manager I know in a tool shop, and he said yeah you can have whatever we get. That was my first decent score - a box I could barely carry. So tool shops it was. I still get some nos but I've got a steady flow from about 3 shops, with other possibilities in the future.

Tool batteries tend to be higher current capability. Older packs range 1~2AH and modern ones are pretty decent capacity 2.5~3AH. I get far less zero volt cells from the newer packs, which stands to reason, as the old ones have lasted an age, and therefore more chance of total depletion.

I'll be using the 1~2AH cells in smaller and test projects - the first being a UPS I modified with an Anderson plug on the back, and I'll keep the 2.5AH+ cells for the endgame powerwall. Tool batteries are more work to liberate the cells, but with higher capacity and better yield of good condition cells, I think it will be well worth it.

Also, I get the odd high drain pack with 20700 cells capping at around 4AH. These have hit the market hard in the last year or 2 but we won't start to see them in high numbers for some time, if at all, due to their discharge rate capability. This means less stress, less heat and therefore less failures... so when we do get them, they'll be depleted or End-Of-Life, not failed.

image_hwigol.jpg
IT places are good yes. If you happen to know anyone in the big firms around town, even better. Ive ended up with more laptop batteries and tool packs than I can handle anyway.

Ive given most of the laptop cells away now to my local hacker space peoples. Most laptops are now pouch cells so Im afraid going forward youll be out of luck there.

Try big hardware places? Bunnings? Every place that sells packs must accept them back for recycling :) law or something?

Something that is really cool to grab from your IT guys tho, dell laptop boxes! They are 100% perfect batter storage and sorting boxes. They are double wall thick cardboard, latching lid, handle (dont rely on those!!) and hold from 300-400 cells per box.

They even have a lithium warning logo on them. The UN38.4 one ;)

image_oztvcz.jpg

Get in touch with Cableguy representative.... modem batteries are good, and they have a lot barely used....

Just got 40 Arris Modem batteries....each battery oack comes with 2x 2600 samsung battery
are not the best but they are decent

image_mrgemu.jpg

Don forget to use globes like me

image_rkwbfq.jpg

Cable company guy are helpfull

507PowerWall said:
Get in touch with Cableguy representative.... modem batteries are good, and they have a lot barely used....

Can you possible link just new around here

Wayne\ said:
I too was hitting brick walls asking people I knew in the IT industry, getting only a handful of cells in a couple of months. One day I asked a manager I know in a tool shop, and he said yeah you can have whatever we get. That was my first decent score - a box I could barely carry. So tool shops it was. I still get some nos but I've got a steady flow from about 3 shops, with other possibilities in the future.

Tool batteries tend to be higher current capability. Older packs range 1~2AH and modern ones are pretty decent capacity 2.5~3AH. I get far less zero volt cells from the newer packs, which stands to reason, as the old ones have lasted an age, and therefore more chance of total depletion.

I'll be using the 1~2AH cells in smaller and test projects - the first being a UPS I modified with an Anderson plug on the back, and I'll keep the 2.5AH+ cells for the endgame powerwall. Tool batteries are more work to liberate the cells, but with higher capacity and better yield of good condition cells, I think it will be well worth it.

Also, I get the odd high drain pack with 20700 cells capping at around 4AH. These have hit the market hard in the last year or 2 but we won't start to see them in high numbers for some time, if at all, due to their discharge rate capability. This means less stress, less heat and therefore less failures... so when we do get them, they'll be depleted or End-Of-Life, not failed.
Wondering what sort of tool shops did ask around because around my area places like bunnings are not that willing which gets annoying to sources these.

WillK78 said:
507PowerWall said:

Can you possible link just new around here

You can try computer repair shops... and ask for laptops batteries 1$ a piece ....
CG

Back