Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mini DC UPS packs
I want to build some small packs to run some of my DC items if the power goes off. The main things I want to run are the wireless wifi mesh nodes for my network and a wireless hub for my weatherflow tempest wx station. Ideally I could keep the internet and wx online in a power outage. The weather hub runs on a simple 5v 1amp micro usb plug and only uses a few wh per day. The mesh nodes run on 12v and I haven't measured their power consumption yet.

The pack would have to tolerate being plugged in 24/7. I was thinking a 4s and maybe 2 or 3 in parallel. I would use dc-dc converters for each device that I need to power. I'd like to keep these small and simple. I can 3d print the cases if I need to do that. It might even make sense to use a jehu style pcb mount for this.

My only real concern is having a charger plugged in all the time and not pulling power off the cells.
How about a small UPS on ebay and build a 18650 battery to match - probably 7s. 

Maybe something like this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/APC-UPS-450VA-U...1195.m1851

It will automatically have charging, grid->ups failover etc.  You can easily convert 120v output to suit what you need.   

I use 18650 DIY battery packs on several APC UPSs and they just sit there...  oldest one is 2 years and going strong Smile
I just figured skip the AC -> DC -> AC -> DC (wall wart) conversion since one runs on usb and the other a 12v barrel plug.
Interesting idea/plan.
To get around the always plugged in problem, you could add a little extra circuitry. Have a couple diodes on the input side of main power feed. This keeps backfeeding to the sensor. Then on the power side of the diodes use an SSR to turn on/off the battery pack in case the grid goes down. On the load side of the diodes a capacitor to help keep any dips from happening.
For charging, i suppose any of the cheaper chargers would work. Though, matching 12V is hard on standard Li-Ions.

Basically this would become a cheap/simple DC ups Wink

Of course the idea and general plan is crude. That would need to be worked out through R&D Tongue
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
(06-11-2020, 05:22 AM)gpn Wrote: I just figured skip the AC -> DC -> AC -> DC (wall wart) conversion since one runs on usb and the other a 12v barrel plug.
You could tap the battery (of the UPS) directly - no AC involved except UPS keeping the battery charged.   Maybe the key is you want to build something from scratch - and I get that Smile
If any group understands doing it yourself I would hope it is this one! Big Grin

The SSR is an interesting idea. They have super fast switching times and the load is minimal so I don't need to worry about heat sinking or super large SSRs.
keep your vpc near 4.0v and let it float.
holding at 4.2 greatly increases degradation.
limiting to 4.0 drops an insignificant amount of capacity in exchange for extended life.
Here is a slightly different question. Lets say I used something like a tp4056 to charge a 1s2p cell pack to power the weather station only. Can I have it plugged into a 5v source as well as running the load at the same time? Or is there a simple charging circuit for something like that?
Can someone point me to discussions about a multi-TP4056 board please? I know I read it but can't find it. I also recollect a mention of an upgraded version. A nudge would be helpful here to please.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As at Mid May 2020 -Total cells 1,135/Shucked 1,045/To be shucked 90/Processed 194/To be processed 608/Zero volt 183/Bad/rusted 19/Sanyos 1/21700s 24
All tool batteries comprising of Milwaukee, Makita, AEG, Hilti, with Samsung, LG, Sony and Sanyo cells from 1.3AH to 3.0AH (OEM)
Chargers... 1 x Nitecore D4/1 x LiitoKala 500/1 x iMAax B6AC
On order... 5 x LiitoKala 500/1 x LiitoKala 500/1 x iCharger 4010 Duo
(06-22-2020, 11:53 AM)Wayne\s World Wrote: Can someone point me to discussions about a multi-TP4056 board please? I know I read it but can't find it. I also recollect a mention of an upgraded version. A nudge would be helpful here to please.
Well you can always read about the one I built.

https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread...6#pid38976

Wolf
For Info Google Drive

Great ABB shunt breaker seller River City Industrial
Great prices and superb service.
 [Image: em2566%20(1)__19172.1521541365.jpg?c=2]

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool