Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High current tester modding
Did anyone attempt to mod a tester like the Lii500 or Opus or anything like that to make it support higher discharge test current, like 2A or even more ?

Most of the chargers on the market only test on all slots at 0.5A; Opus needs extra cooling for 1A  across all slots.
It would be nice to be able to mod them.

Any thoughts ?
What would happen if we would replace the discharge resistor with another to allow higher current ?
Could it work on any of the currently available chargers or is that a too complex matter to to other charger internal construction limitations ?
Its easier to just buy a high current tester to be honest. Like the ZBl3 or what not.
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
ZB2L3 is not currently available anywhere near me (as in my country).

Guess I could build a multi-slot out of these, but I'd prefer something already manufactured for now.
Hook up several Ichargers then Smile Then you can get up to 40A testing current per cell Wink Or run the duo and get 70A Wink
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
it would be very difficult to modify the opus or liitokala to do higher amp discharge because of the programming and circuitry and traces. It was designed with 1A in mind and trying to modify it could make it act all wonky.

It would be much easier and probably far more accurate to use an MCU (arduino or such) to toggle a relay to a load and count how long it takes for the voltage go from A to B.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
You can test cells at 4 Amps Discharge on the Opus. Take 3 dummy cells (CID cells are great for this), put electrical tape on the terminals of the cells, and then use a busbar or nickel strip on the top terminal (positive) of the Opus along with the cell you are testing. The Opus will think it is 4 cells and do a 1 Amp discharge on each slot. Somehow, they are all isolated. If you get 500mAh per slot, that means the battery capacity is 2,000 mAh @ 4 Amps. Credit to OffGridInTheCity for this one!
Check out my long-term capacity test of 18650s: https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=6868
That's kind of a nice cheat if it works, Generic.