Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asking for advice, heating system replacement
There are so many variables it get's specific to your climate and home.   

We have mild climate and super efficient heat pump installed in March,  and so far April was only 299kwh to heat the whole (2600sq ft) house for the whole month!  At .11c/kwh that's $33.     May was 80% heat and 20% AC and came in at 382kwh - $42.       

Winters 99% 30F low and 55F hi range.  Very mild and so I don't know yet but hoping to see the heat pump come in at < $100/month for Dec/Jan/Feb - maybe 35kwh/day.   I'm able to generate 400kwh/month in winter so with my backup plan (an extra 30-40 panels stored away) we could actually heat the house enough to be livable in the winter if we had to - maybe go to 65F hi instead of 75F or heat just a few hrs / day.    

We had a 'fire place guy' out to see if we could install one - but due to various factors the estimate was $5k+ and that didn't include the brick/wall work - and the guy kept shaking his head and mumbling (no, not good, ...)  - so we punted.    

I watched a lot of youtubes on wood -> electricity like gassifiers, heat engine, and steam engine but you can't buy them and it takes a lot of wood/monitoring/noise to run such a thing for 8hrs/day for many days.   A big propane tank (1000gal) and generator would last a long time with little maintenance - but wife said NO WAY - and permits might be trouble 'in town'.    So...  why not just store 40 panels?   and if there were a true Puerto Rico emergency, I could drag them out into the back yard (I have room) and just wire them into the existing infrastructure.   Meanwhile, the panels and wire can just sit under the house and should work OK 20yrs from now.  Don't have to worry about fuel, or wood, or generator etc Smile
Korishan likes this post
(06-18-2020, 12:02 AM)OffGridInTheCity Wrote: We had a 'fire place guy' out to see if we could install one - but due to various factors the estimate was $5k+ and that didn't include the brick/wall work - and the guy kept shaking his head and mumbling (no, not good, ...)  - so we punted.    

You don't want a fireplace. It's very inefficient due to the fact that it's a open chimney and all it does is suck more air out of the house than actually heating it. It's more efficient to have a fire stove. It can double duty as a popcorn popper and it's easier to install.

Korishan likes this post
Hi guys,

Ufff a lot of messages to reply, well I will star replying to OffGridInTheCity.

As I posted in the first message, my house is around 120 m2, divided in 3 floors, the first is the garage and the entrace, so not heating here, the 2nd and 3rd floor togheter have 120m2, the house is not insulated and the windows are old wood windows, more than 35 years old, also with old blinds, in every rooms there is an iron radiator below the window. The orientation of the house is almost N-S.
The climate is a continetal, cold winters and hot and dry summers, the T in winter could be around -10ºC during the night and 0-10 during the day.
And I would try to charge the batteries during the cheapest period of the grid, around 14-15h, it is clear that with 3.3 kW/h I would charge theoretically 49.5 kW that means 5h at 9.5 kW/h so impossible to maintaint the system.
About the fire place I would like one of them, but not possible I have 5 pets at house.

Daromer

I've saw a lot of your videos overall related to power walls, I am subscribed to your channel when I started to looking for information, I'm wondering if you still mount yours power walls at Jehu García style, without BMS! jejejeje sorry a litle joke.
Regarding you wood system is very cheap, in my country there is new systems based on wood pellets, I usually use 2000 L/per year of diesel, this is around 1800-1000 € per year depending on the market, and also my system provides me hot water for the house.
With respect to solar heaters I will looking for information.

Korishan
I will search information about your mentioned systems.

Thank you so much for your replies guys
No i dont run without bms and never had. I never promotes that.
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
Hi,

(06-18-2020, 03:26 PM)daromer Wrote: No i dont run without bms and never had. I never promotes that.

I'm sorry I confused you with someone else.
(06-18-2020, 02:29 PM)elnaib Wrote: As I posted in the first message, my house is around 120 m2, divided in 3 floors, the first is the garage and the entrace, so not heating here, the 2nd and 3rd floor togheter have 120m2, the house is not insulated and the windows are old wood windows, more than 35 years old, also with old blinds, in every rooms there is an iron radiator below the window. The orientation of the house is almost N-S.
The climate is a continetal, cold winters and hot and dry summers, the T in winter could be around -10ºC during the night and 0-10 during the day.
And I would try to charge the batteries during the cheapest period of the grid, around 14-15h, it is clear that with 3.3 kW/h I would charge theoretically 49.5 kW that means 5h at 9.5 kW/h so impossible to maintaint the system.
About the fire place I would like one of them, but not possible I have 5 pets at house.

Insulate first. 120m2 is roughly 1200sqft. Thats a small area for such a high energy usage. 35 years old windows, is the house older? If not that means it's built in the 80s. By then they should have some insulation in the wall. This isn't like a 1800s Victorian-era house, that I can understand is a energy sucking house. We had this question just recently, and it's probably better to go through an energy audit before going down the renewables route. It's better to make things more efficient than to try getting the cheapest energy. Replacing with double glazed windows, extra insulation at the attic. The plus side is less energy means saving more of the environment as well as money! Getting 100kwh of batteries is also quite costly unless you can get it for free. Pets love fireplaces btw.
(06-18-2020, 06:49 PM)not2bme Wrote: Insulate first.

Second that.  Insulation will be much more cost effective and greener than any battery system.  Here are some of the easy DIY ones that I personally use:

* Window insulation film.  Super cheap, quite effective at stopping the cold.  Might not stick well to wood frames.  Slightly hazy.  Might not last long with pets, depending on species.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NHY1P0

* Plastic double window.  I used 4mm thick acrylic for ~$50, a drawer knob, and some pieces of wood nailed to the frame.  Excellent insulation, nearly invisible, pet friendly, easily removable.

* Carpets.  The thicker and fluffier the better.

* Circulator fans.  Get big ones and run on slowest(quietest) setting 24/7.  Place on the floor and point it upwards - it'll suck the cold air near the floor and mix it with the hot air near the ceiling, making the room feel _much_ warmer.  By several degrees.  The fans need some energy, but lowering the thermostat saves you significantly more energy.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BZQKC5M

* Get used to wearing thick socks and fluffy slippers.

* Stop air drafts.  Go around the house with a smoke generator (eg. incense), and fill in every gap that lets in cold air / leaks out warm air.  Lots of products available for all sorts of leaks.  Might want to leave some air flow, depending on the smell of your pets.  Or look into "heat recovery ventilators", but that's going to cost a fair bit more.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCNXLA3
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DDD6N3R

Finally, the first step before going battery:
* Air conditioner (aka mini splits, air source heat pump, etc).  It uses approximately 1kWh of energy to pump 3kWh of heat into the house, so much more efficient than other types of electrical heating.  Unless you're living in coal country, it'll probably be cleaner than burning oil.  Get a smaller unit to assist heating, so that you can switch it to solar/battery power in the future.  Will probably not work well at -10C.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DYDG3VP
Modular PowerShelf using 3D printed packs.  60kWh and growing.
https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=6458
An alternative is a mini split A/C heat pump unit.
I have 2, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. 1.4 Kw of panels feeding into 8 x 6 volt golf cart batteries wired series/parallel to give 24 volts and a usable 4Kw of storage.
We run each one separately. living room in the day bedroom at night, and have never dropped the batteries below 50% DOC.
As a heat pump it consumes 1Kw and as an A/C 900 watts. I put a Killawatt meter on the A/C when it was 114F (45C) outside, and it only used 2.5 Kw total for the day.
Before you do anything, as others have advised, check and improve the house insulation. Smile
Doin it likes this post