DIY portable generator

wyrdone

I'm tossing around the idea of a portable power bank. Ala Kodiak/Bluetti/Goal Zero

Lots of options for different batteries.
Lots of options for different solar charge controllers.
Tons of options for different "ports to plug into".

However, I really want it to be able to plug into AC outlet and be kept charged. And I'm just not finding a lot of options.

Ideally I'd love to find an inverter/charger between 750W and 1500W.

Victron makes one (Multiplus 12 or 24/1000) but it is a 230VAC output (european) and I haven't seen a similar in 110v for US.

Heck an AC->DC charger that will work properly with Lithium and at least a 10a charge rate would work.

I'd love to find a similar "package" as what the Goal Zero/Kodiak have.

So anyone have some good options?

The way I read your post... maybe you're 1/2 way between buying one ( youtuber @DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse has several reviews ) and building one.

DIY -
The cheapest'base' idea I can think of is to use a UPS (such as APC 1500). Itplugs in, charges the battery, and delivers AC power plugged or unplugged as you stated in your requirements.You can use 7s lithium ion as a battery source. APCswill charge 7s lithium-ion to 3.95v'ish / 75%full (not bad / long life). I only mention this because its CHEAP - Here's ebay $60 -https://www.ebay.com/itm/APC-Smart-...637332&hash=item3664afc2d7:g:pL4AAOSwdD5e47zU as off the cuff example.
Just build a battery andyou may have to 'trick it' to work on battery modewithout a 120v source to enable it.

Otherwise, these things start adding up to hundreds of dollars as far as I've seen. I'm sure you'll get other ideas here :)

For charging, I would just use a AC to DC charger or a DC-DC converter and an appropriately sized wall-wart if you really wanted to do it from AC. I charge mine with a small solar setup at home, and just let it charge slowly over the course of a few days because I really don't use it that often.

Really helps to know your design and use goals too... For me personally, the reason I build my own is because I very rarely need an AC inverter. Most of all my loads are DC, and buying a Kodiak/Bluetti/Goal Zero means I spend money on things I dont even need/want.

As posted above, I would highly recommend will prowse's youtube channel for this kind of stuff.

Sounds like you want to use it as a UPS? Lots of great options out there, and his reviews are 100% honest.

Good luck :)

Will Prowse just did a video on a DIY, portable solar generator in the $1000 range -https://youtu.be/Dpzc2Qb6JRUIthighlights an MPPSolar all-in-one solar/120v-charger/120v-inverter (around $600 I think),BMS, and even discusses a 12v@40a DC-DC take-off. Touches on key components to consider :)

Victron inverter-Charger is what you want. They call it shore power connection. And yeah go see Big Will

LithiumSolar shows how he made his

Later floyd

Last edited by a moderator:
Back