Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Take an educated guess!
(06-18-2020, 06:32 PM)Sed6 Wrote: Given what you and others have shared; I should target laptop batts for IMR/INR cells for low drain use like a PW and powertool/ebike/scooter batts for ICR cells for higher drain apps like my DIY ebike batt?

Maybe I will get this...
Thanks!

Its the other way around ICR are your high capacity low drain cells.( Laptop)
Your NCA are your middle of the road, great capacity with medium discharge current (Some Laptop mostly Medical)
Your IMR and INR are your high drain cells. (Power tools) (You wont find any of them in laptop packs at least I haven't) 

Look at my posts on IR and how parallel cells react to each other. In a 10s3p you do need to have ALL your cells very close (IR and mAh), the same brand, type and if possible manufacture date. That is if you want a successful pack.
Here is some reading material that will keep you awake at night. Tongue
https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread...0#pid53600
https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread...9#pid53209
https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread...5#pid60625

Wolf
Sed6 likes this post
For Info Google Drive

Great ABB shunt breaker seller River City Industrial
Great prices and superb service.
 [Image: em2566%20(1)__19172.1521541365.jpg?c=2]

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
(06-18-2020, 07:00 PM)Wolf Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 06:32 PM)Sed6 Wrote: Given what you and others have shared; I should target laptop batts for IMR/INR cells for low drain use like a PW and powertool/ebike/scooter batts for ICR cells for higher drain apps like my DIY ebike batt?

Maybe I will get this...
Thanks!

Its the other way around ICR are your high capacity low drain cells.( Laptop)

Look at my posts on IR and how parallel cells react to each other. In a 10s3p you do need to have ALL your cells very close (IR and mAh), the same brand, type and if possible manufacture date. That is if you want a successful pack.

Wolf

Thanks Wolf! If I bump it to 4p or 5p then I have a little more wiggle room and/or the pack will be more successful?

Let's define success; for this ebike battery I would be happy with one year, maybe 50 complete discharge cycles, 100 partial discharge cycles before the battery is no longer serviceable (let's say 75% of original capacity). This battery is "disposable" and replaceable and I don't expect it to last forever. How would that change any recommendations? I would almost guess that I could slap together almost any cells and get 50 cycles. Or am I wrong?
Thanks all!
I'd go with 25-35%.
I've had some hauls that were amazing and had 60%+ good cells, but I've had other hauls too that only yielded 5%.

Since adopting the Wolf methodology I've had much better results, with over 95% of my tested cells proving good. However I am now weeding out loads more cells that before I would have consigned to the recycle bin once I'd wasted time testing them.
Bubba and Sed6 like this post
UK Southwest.

7 kWp Solar Panels (28 x 250Wp Shinetime Mono).
14 X APS YC500i Micro Inverters.
42 X 40P 18650 cell packs/modules configured as 14S 120P.
Sofar Mass Energy ME3000SP AC coupled charger/inverter.
Still sourcing and processing cells for powerwall.
About halfway into my next batch of cells for another 14 40P packs
13 kWh processed and operational so far.
(06-18-2020, 07:40 PM)chuckp Wrote: I'd go with 25-35%.
I've had some hauls that were amazing and had 60%+ good cells, but I've had other hauls too that only yielded 5%.

Since adopting the Wolf methodology I've had much better results, with over 95% of my tested cells proving good. However I am now weeding out loads more cells that before I would have consigned to the recycle bin once I'd wasted time testing them.

Fingers crossed for more than 5%!!! My Yr1030 will be here any day. I've been putting off testing any but a few until I can do it the Wolf way.
Not including rusty cells, self-dischargers, heaters, unrecoverable cells (0 Volts), etc. based on your criteria of >2000mAh and >80% SoH, the cells that I was able to test, I got about 24%, so if you include the cells I didn't track, it would probably be between 15 and 20% for genuine used laptop batteries.

If you are making an ebike battery, try to stick with the INRs as the ICRs degrade quickly at high discharge rates.
Sed6 likes this post
Check out my long-term capacity test of 18650s: https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=6868
Milwaukee 6AH and 9AH batteries will have Samsung and LG 3AH cells. I'm getting a lot of these.

Basically this is what they use...
1.5AH = 5 x 1.5AH/1.6AH cells
2AH = 5 x 2AH cells
3AH = 10 x 1.5AH cells
4AH = 10 x 2AH cells
5AH = 10 x 2.5AH cells
6AH = 10 x 3AH cells
9AH = 15 x 3AH cells
12AH = 15 x 4AH 20700 cells

Will be the same in all 18v packs where they offer those capacities - Mlwaukee, AEG, Makita, Hitachi, Bosch etc.

Hilti is different. Their packs are 22v and 36v, and their older packs use 1.6AH and 2AH. More recent packs use 2.5AH. These are a pain to disassemble to - I need to brush Acetone on the ends and just under the plastic holder to dissolve the glue. This damages the cell wrapper as well. I'm told their newest packs are higher capacity, but we won't see those for a while. I suspect they are 20700 cells, which means higher drain and less failures, so could be a while, and when we do, they'll be EOL.

I also have 1.3AH cells. I think they might be out of Makita 2.5AH packs.

Dewalt Flexvolt uses 10 x 4AH 20700

EGO uses 2.5AH and 3Ah, from what I've seen so far, but I haven't opened every type yet.

I've got around 2,000 cells. All from power tool batteries with cells 1.5-3AH. I have capacity tested around 1,000 and am concentrating on the 1-2AH cells for smaller test projects like UPS and camping packs. I'm actually hoping to get enough 3AH to use those exclusively in my home system in about 2 years. But will need around 2,000 of them! I think that's achievable.
Sed6 likes this post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As at Mid May 2020 -Total cells 1,135/Shucked 1,045/To be shucked 90/Processed 194/To be processed 608/Zero volt 183/Bad/rusted 19/Sanyos 1/21700s 24
All tool batteries comprising of Milwaukee, Makita, AEG, Hilti, with Samsung, LG, Sony and Sanyo cells from 1.3AH to 3.0AH (OEM)
Chargers... 1 x Nitecore D4/1 x LiitoKala 500/1 x iMAax B6AC
On order... 5 x LiitoKala 500/1 x LiitoKala 500/1 x iCharger 4010 Duo
(06-20-2020, 10:52 PM)Wayne's World Wrote: Milwaukee 6AH and 9AH batteries will have Samsung and LG 3AH cells. I'm getting a lot of these.

Great info, all of it, thanks! Where are you finding these batteries? Targeting at a recycler, buying used, recycle bins, other?

Unfortunately my first 2 dozen 3AH batteries have only 21-2200mAh capacity left. Well below the 80% I'd like to see. I have over 650 cells now and I'm really hoping for 100 or more a 2AH.
I've got a couple of local tool shops on the hook.

I haven't done any serious %ofOEM calculations yet as I've only got around 300 SD tested, with only about 3 fallen below 4.15v after 3 weeks, which is an incredible result.

Of the Samsung 3AH cells, unless they are 0v, are testing between 2.8AH and 3.2AH. An excellent result really.

I've done all this with 1 tester for 2 months, then a second for the last month. I've got 6 testers enroute, and a DELL server PSU ready to roll... Well, I just have to rig up a power rail with the DC pigtails along a frame that I'm yet to make... but all in good time!
Sed6 likes this post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As at Mid May 2020 -Total cells 1,135/Shucked 1,045/To be shucked 90/Processed 194/To be processed 608/Zero volt 183/Bad/rusted 19/Sanyos 1/21700s 24
All tool batteries comprising of Milwaukee, Makita, AEG, Hilti, with Samsung, LG, Sony and Sanyo cells from 1.3AH to 3.0AH (OEM)
Chargers... 1 x Nitecore D4/1 x LiitoKala 500/1 x iMAax B6AC
On order... 5 x LiitoKala 500/1 x LiitoKala 500/1 x iCharger 4010 Duo
@Wayne's World, you're right about Milwaukee.
There's also an 8Ah now which uses 21700s.
Anyway, most have samsung Q, Rs, RMs or newer.

I did not see too much 6Ahs in circulation, the most spread seem to be the 5Ahs.

Anyway, the cells from big brand power tools (MW, dewalt, bosch, makita, etc) are all premiums, worthy of being recovered.
Sed6 likes this post
(06-22-2020, 10:33 AM)Wayne's World Wrote: I've got a couple of local tool shops on the hook.

I've done all this with 1 tester for 2 months, then a second for the last month. I've got 6 testers enroute, and a DELL server PSU ready to roll... Well, I just have to rig up a power rail with the DC pigtails along a frame that I'm yet to make... but all in good time!

Local tool shops, thanks! So lemme ask, why are you and others using a PS to power your testers instead of the wall plugs? I too have 6 Opus and a 6 outlet power strip works for me.