Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My choice of wiring
RG6 is good For at least 500amps :p
Dodgy
(06-19-2020, 10:27 AM)slimf Wrote: RG6 is good For at least 500amps :p

Can you provide a link to said information please? I did a search and i can't find ampacity ratings for coax cable. I find it for Vmax, though. Which, for RG6 braided Vmax is 2700V
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
(06-20-2020, 12:00 AM)Korishan Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 10:27 AM)slimf Wrote: RG6 is good For at least 500amps :p

Can you provide a link to said information please? I did a search and i can't find ampacity ratings for coax cable. I find it for Vmax, though. Which, for RG6 braided Vmax is 2700V

I’m joking. RG6 is not designed for power.
Figured I'd take it slow, only hooked up 2 in series. I'll parallel the other 2 when I know it's safe. But under 400w I'm sure it will be.
Don't have a meter on both ends but it looked better than 95% at the controller. somewhere around 1v drop over 50' (75' was too much)
If RG6 is all the cable you have then...
Center core for RG6 is 1mm2 or good for about 10A in thoery. Also depends if it's solid core or air gapped.
Use the outer AND inner together if your running 2 wires, just use one wire as +ve and the other -ve.
Solid core RG6 you can "play" with with quite a few kV as long as you don't mind the odd random fire and blinding light incident.

Not ideal, recommended or electrically approved in any way but will work.

Caution on the outer insulation layer as depending on the cable (internal or external rating for UV as well) they can be softer and easier to cut accidentally. Water ingress then get's sucked into the outer braiding quite eaisly through capilary action and corrodes it (with the help of those electrons).
If you can't quantify how much they cost, it's a deal, I'll buy 5 of them for 3 lumps of rocking horse ......