Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charge Controller Question
CC

I now understand your and my confusion.
You are looking at amps not volts on that chart.
So Yea at 10:00 AM the batteries where being charged hence the red trace climbing.

All that chart shows is the amps correlation between both Charge controllers the Grid ties and the battery.

Wolf
completelycharged likes this post
For Info Google Drive

Great ABB shunt breaker seller River City Industrial
Great prices and superb service.
 [Image: em2566%20(1)__19172.1521541365.jpg?c=2]

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
Ah, yes, my mistake.

I was looking at it from how I have seen voltage drops create some od values on my setup. The smooth current profile makes sense as well as the battery was not providing the change in current as it was all from the controllers.

Looking at the load spike just as the full output started I'm wondering if thier implementation of float vs absorb timing has an issue and the brief spike and voltage drop that it would create caused it to flip back into bulk mode but at the wrong voltage level expectation ?

It is very much indeed a curious incident that I'm wondering about a bit more now.
If you can't quantify how much they cost, it's a deal, I'll buy 5 of them for 3 lumps of rocking horse ......
Been out to have a look at my units and..... one of them was indicating voltages all over the place for the battery output. 52, 54, 57, 51, 54... adjusted the voltage setting to 13.2V, no difference. switched off some of the solar input the output settled a bit, switched more of the solar off, random numbers stopped.. hmmmmm.... the unit temperature at the time was reading 47C with the fan on. The unit has 4kW of solar attached and was reading about 1800W at the time. Each string was capable of about 600W under current sun, so 2400W available and close (probably too close) to the unit limit. I forgot to disconnect one of the strings onto another controller (from the winter) so may have fried some of the internals, which is impacting the cut-off ?

The other 2 units are not impacted.

Makes me wonder if this is a similar situation as to what you have had. So now figuring out how to connect the solar as I may revert to re-wiring with a simpler PWM and buy another 4 panels instead.

"Output power will be normal when it’s less 55 °C." - so the unit should not have been derating the output at only 47C...

I'm actually quite happy you reported your issue because I would have not checked my units for the output voltage !!
Wolf likes this post
If you can't quantify how much they cost, it's a deal, I'll buy 5 of them for 3 lumps of rocking horse ......
(06-24-2020, 02:24 PM)completelycharged Wrote: I'm actually quite happy you reported your issue because I would have not checked my units for the output voltage !!
Anything for a friend Big Grin

This anomaly has not happened again since the first incident. Don't know if it ever happened before as I was running on my pb bank with different absorption and float V but I never noticed it.
I am keeping a close eye on it now though.
In my case I only have a max of 1500W of panel for each controller. I figured since it was rated at 50A and made in china I was safe with that input.
I have seen the controllers put out ≈25A each at optimum MPPT.  Still only ½ of its "rated" capacity so I shouldn't have fried anything. Huh

Wolf
For Info Google Drive

Great ABB shunt breaker seller River City Industrial
Great prices and superb service.
 [Image: em2566%20(1)__19172.1521541365.jpg?c=2]

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool