Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difference between a 'CCCV' supply and just a 'CC' supply.
Yea the Mean Well documentation isn't totally clear about what is programmable and what isn't. But one of the notes for the RCB-1600-48 does say:

"8. When charging lead acid battery or battery without BMS, use breaker to disconnect charger and battery after fully charged."

Which suggests it is not attempting to manage the disconnect by itself.

If you have any other suggestions for a 58.8v/circa 15A charger I am very much all ears, but I absolutely want to be able to modify the charge current to allow slow overnight charges. Mean Well are a respected brand, and their prices are ver good for what they offer, which is why y focus has landed here.
Eltek Flatpak2 is known as a programable PSU and also can be controlled by some BMS systems out there. It acts as a charger if it can take common BMS commands.

I dont know many more to be afraid since i use a chargecontroller only and mainly use solar for it Smile
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
Cheers, just having a look at them, but they look like they are serving a market well beyond myself... You know when you can't find prices anywhere they are probably out of your league!
Since no one explicitly answered your primary question(s) let's do so: Yes, you can in fact use an (SMPS) power supply with CC control to emulate a CC/CV charger, but they don't usually provide the capability to terminate the CV phase at specific current, i.e. they will simply continue charging forever (float charging) as the current asymptotically approaches zero.  But since you have termination current capability in your BMS that is not a limitation (note that it's not a good idea to float charge Li-ion batteries at high SOC because this will cause them to degrade extremely quickly - possibly 10 times faster than normal).

Be aware that you may need to add a diode to protect the power supply against reverse voltage when charging batteries. Check the datasheet to be sure.

Re: the specified programming ranges for voltage and current: they are usually not super tight. The spec is merely what they guarantee and usually the actual ranges are a bit wider (sometimes much so), and they vary from unit to unit. But you don't want to get so close to OVP that line variations might cause nuisance OVP tripping.

Many folks do in fact use such (industrial) power supplies as CC/CV chargers. Those from reputable manufacturers are often much higher quality than dedicated chargers supplied with various devices (and much higher quality than cheap generic CC/CV chargers all over eBay).
(08-15-2020, 08:48 PM)gauss163 Wrote: Since no one explicitly answered your primary question(s) let's do so: Yes, you can in fact use an (SMPS) power supply with CC control to emulate a CC/CV charger,
Many folks do in fact use such (industrial) power supplies as CC/CV chargers. Those from reputable manufacturers are often much higher quality than dedicated chargers supplied with various devices (and much higher quality than cheap generic CC/CV chargers all over eBay).
Yes agreed, industrial PSU's as described above can be used.
It may take a bit of homework to figure out the type of current limiting a supply has, eg to ensure is current limiting & not eg foldback or other limiting - this might cause the supply to cycle up to it's over-current setting, limit, restart (often makes a "chirping" sound or just holding at a low "load sense" level). It'd be stressful for the PSU & not very productive charging if this occurred.
Running off solar, DIY & electronics fan :-)
^^^ In case you missed it, the OP refers to a (MeanWell RSP-750) power supply that uses CC (constant current), so that already rules out other methods (foldback, hiccup, latch, etc).
What? Off you go again? No I wasn't having a shot at you.
The thread has been discussing other types than just the Meanwell, see Daromer's posts #2, #4, #10 at least.
Read the words right there "industrial PSU's" right after you're (apparently) also talking about them.
(08-15-2020, 08:48 PM)gauss163 Wrote: Many folks do in fact use such (industrial) power supplies as CC/CV chargers. Those from reputable manufacturers are often much higher quality .....

Obviously I'm not talking about the Meanwell or other industrial ones with CC.

The point is I've seen plenty which don't have CC, so helping readers understand what to look for eg specifically having CC vs others.
Running off solar, DIY & electronics fan :-)
Is it possible to make an adapter circuit to use a CC supply(lead acid charger) and to convert that to a usable input for a charger. I want to make a lithium battery 3s (including additional circuitry) that can charge with a ups lead acid charger.
Yes you can add a CC/CV equipment in between that does it based on the DC input voltage. Common practice in the RC world where you feed an RC charger from a PSU from example servers or other equipment.
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
(08-28-2020, 01:39 PM)henco28081991 Wrote: Is it possible to make an adapter circuit to use a CC supply(lead acid charger) and to convert that to a usable input for a charger. I want to make a lithium battery 3s (including additional circuitry) that can charge with a ups lead acid charger.

Are you asking if you can use a (lead-acid) CC/CV charger as a power-supply for a (Li-ion) CC/CV charger, or are you asking if you can use a (lead-acid) CC/CV charger to directly charge a 3S Li-ion pack?