Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opus BT-C3100 Wire Mod Results
Came across this thread: https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=4767

I just made this mod to my Opus BT-C3100. I didn't see any major changes in the Quick Test values after doing it - it gave me almost the same numbers as before. 
I tested few Samsung 30Q cells and got results ranging anywhere from 37 to 62. I'm not sure if these are good readings or not (?). Another question is, does this mod
will make the Opus device to show more accurate readings of the internal resistance values, or is it just to make sure the results are more consistent? 

By the way, I did this mod with a 22AWG silicone wire, not sure if that matters.
The Wire mod on an OPUS does absolutely nothing as far as IR readings are concerned.
The Opus does a simple V drop /R check and calculation. The contact resistance is not calculated in as per OPUS instruction manual.

If you want a proper IR get a IR meter meant for such as the RC3563,  YR1030, YR1035 or a derivative there of.

Samsung INR18650-30Q spec ≤18mΩ brand new
As it is INR chemisty  and a high drain battery IR should be in the 20mΩ to 25mΩ range for a used  battery with reasonable results.

Wolf
bogptrsn likes this post
For Info Google Drive

Great ABB shunt breaker seller River City Industrial
Great prices and superb service.
 [Image: em2566%20(1)__19172.1521541365.jpg?c=2]

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
(06-21-2020, 11:04 AM)Wolf Wrote: If you want a proper IR get a IR meter meant for i such as the RC3563,  YR1030, YR1035 or a derivative there of.

In ur Experience which is the most accurate among these three... or testing with two of them will give us the best avg. IR Rating
Based in Panama

PV = 3 x 200W
Bat = GEL 250Ah
Feeding Fans / CCTV / Modem-Router / Android Boxes

Going on-grid
150 batteries harvested / getting GTILv2 1Kw auto sense 22-65V
Lots of items coming from china - usa

...Updating as progress flow...
(06-21-2020, 12:00 PM)507PowerWall Wrote: In ur Experience which is the most accurate among these three... or testing with two of them will give us the best avg. IR Rating

They are all within .05mΩ of each other. So all of them are good.
I prefer the RC3563 with the cell holder for ease of use.
Wolf
For Info Google Drive

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
(06-21-2020, 11:04 AM)Wolf Wrote: The Wire mod on an OPUS does absolutely nothing as far as IR readings are concerned.
The Opus does a simple V drop /R check and calculation. The contact resistance is not calculated in as per OPUS instruction manual.

If you want a proper IR get a IR meter meant for such as the RC3563,  YR1030, YR1035 or a derivative there of.

Samsung INR18650-30Q spec ≤18mΩ brand new
As it is INR chemisty and a high drain battery IR should be in the 20mΩ to 25mΩ range for a used  battery with reasonable results.

Wolf

Thanks for your reply!
So I should subtract 30mΩ from my results, right? Hence the internal resistance of my Samsung 30Q is somewhere between 15-30mΩ, I guess they are good enough? These are brand new cells. 
(06-21-2020, 12:04 PM)Wolf Wrote:
(06-21-2020, 12:00 PM)507PowerWall Wrote: In ur Experience which is the most accurate among these three... or testing with two of them will give us the best avg. IR Rating

They are all within .05mΩ of each other. So all of them are good.
I prefer the RC3563 with the cell holder for ease of use.
Wolf

Im trying to get together best tools for the goal.... what about Liitokala and XTAR charges IR readings.... are a good reference to start ?
Based in Panama

PV = 3 x 200W
Bat = GEL 250Ah
Feeding Fans / CCTV / Modem-Router / Android Boxes

Going on-grid
150 batteries harvested / getting GTILv2 1Kw auto sense 22-65V
Lots of items coming from china - usa

...Updating as progress flow...
(06-21-2020, 12:59 PM)507PowerWall Wrote: Im trying to get together best tools for the goal.... what about Liitokala and XTAR charges IR readings.... are a good reference to start ?

LiitoKala no not even close.
XTAR marginal.
OPUS bad
Zanflare bad

You see they all depend on a V drop and measure that against a resistor to get mΩ.
A 1kHz 4 wire meter designed for the job will give you accurate results.
It is what the manufacture checks with.

Wolf
507PowerWall likes this post
For Info Google Drive

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
(06-21-2020, 12:58 PM)Testing18650 Wrote: Thanks for your reply!
So I should subtract 30mΩ from my results, right? Hence the internal resistance of my Samsung 30Q is somewhere between 15-30mΩ, I guess they are good enough? These are brand new cells. 
Yea if they are brand new cells then you know their IR should be 13.13 ±2 and ≤18 mΩ. 
So if your OPUS reads 45mΩ -30mΩ =15mΩ it's a good cell.
The problem with the OPUS is that it is not consistent. Also when Harvesting used cells there is going to be nickel strip residu, some oxidation on the contacts of the cell, and as the OPUS ages it will have more resistance on the contacts also.
So again to get proper IR get an IR Tester. Smile
This way you wont even have to make a calculation and have consistent results every time.

Wolf
Bubba and 507PowerWall like this post
For Info Google Drive

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
Note that specs of the cells (seen that on LGs) state that IR should be measured at full charge.
(06-23-2020, 06:42 AM)Overmind Wrote: Note that specs of the cells (seen that on LGs) state that IR should be measured at full charge.
That is true but if you are harvesting cells and you have some at a lower SOC you can still measure IR.
It may be a little higher than when fully charged but will still give you an indication whether the cell is any good.
My experience is that most good cells will have ≈5% increase in IR at a low SOC so its not that much.
As you know an out of spec high IR no matter what V or SOC the cell is will indicate a poor SOH battery.

Wolf
Sed6 likes this post
For Info Google Drive

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool