Sourcing 18650 batteries.

spaceman

Hi guys,

New to the forums here, I am currently looking into experimenting with an off grid system but am having trouble finding a good source for 18650 batteries for a reasonable price.
Where are you guys finding these? I dont mind if they are used as at first it will be for hobby project purposes.
Im located in WA.

Regards,
Paul.

Going to repost this in the correct forum section apologies if admin could delete here would be great ty.

Hey Space,
Another guy via facebook hit me up as I was sourcing 18650's here in Melbourne...
(Fingers crossed WA = western aus.) any way, hit up the private schools, hop on the websites and see what type of devices they use, if the are a MAC school... I dont touch, but private schools with a 3 yr laptop program might be your best bet, hit up the Biz Manager or someone in IT saying you will ewaste "for free" what they have, fingers crossed you can get a few cells that way.
I was able to get approx 610 cells this way.

Good Luck, and lets us know how you get on.

Rekim said:
Hey Space,
Another guy via facebook hit me up as I was sourcing 18650's here in Melbourne...
(Fingers crossed WA = western aus.) any way, hit up the private schools, hop on the websites and see what type of devices they use, if the are a MAC school... I dont touch, but private schools with a 3 yr laptop program might be your best bet, hit up the Biz Manager or someone in IT saying you will ewaste "for free" what they have, fingers crossed you can get a few cells that way.
I was able to get approx 610 cells this way.

Good Luck, and lets us know how you get on.

@Rekim. Yeah Western Aus is where I am. Thats a great idea. Seems like a fun avenue to persue. I can see this hobby taking over my spare time very quickly.

Define reasonable price?

The easiest solution is to buy from online vendors like Battery Hookup...but it can become expensive for large scale projects. This would be ideal for a small batch to get your feet wet.

Ideally if you can find a local recycling company to buy per pound, you will save a significant amount of money. But this can be a bit more work and can become time consuming.

There are always EV cells as well.

CrimpDaddy said:
Define reasonable price?

The easiest solution is to buy from online vendors like Battery Hookup...but it can become expensive for large scale projects. This would be ideal for a small batch to get your feet wet.

Ideally if you can find a local recycling company to buy per pound, you will save a significant amount of money. But this can be a bit more work and can become time consuming.

There are always EV cells as well.
I like this comment. In my personal case - I'm 18650 committed because I'm so far down that path - so I tend to by myopic.If I had it to do again, and could find goodsources - EV would be my choice :)

Take a look at EV repair places. I called one near Toronto who offerece EV cells to me that were reomved at no cost. My problem is I am 3 hours away. So Next time I am in town I will get a bunch.
Otherwise there are battery and electronic repair places that would normally send them to recycle. Instead just ask them to give them to you and any that are truly
not usable you will take them to be recycled where they get destroyed.

So far I am looking at about 6000 cells that I have from the electronics place and ebike repair place..... FREE.
The best way.

I do get alot of leaking or oddball celld (prismic) and a lot that are dead or depleted and need refresh. That is why I bought the RC3563 to make testing easier.

Back