Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BMS capacity vs Load
Hi All,

I have a question related to BMS amps capacity.

Im building a 14s18p powerwall , lets say that I can draw 5am per P = 90amps (idealy)

But I know that the max charge capacity from the Charge Controller is 30 amps

And the Load will not exceed 20 becuase I will use a 1k GTILv2 

Im planing to buy a 50amp BMS since I will not exceed 30amps and I know these chinnesse BMS 50amps is max short burst, but constant 30 to 40amps

50amp BMS is ok for a battery that probably will have 70 to 90 amps capacity ?

Thanks in advance
CG
Based in Panama

PV = 3 x 200W
Bat = GEL 250Ah
Feeding Fans / CCTV / Modem-Router / Android Boxes

Going on-grid
** 333 ** batteries harvested / getting GTILv2 1Kw auto sense 22-65V
Lots of items coming from china - usa

...Updating as progress flow...
(07-07-2020, 06:33 PM)507PowerWall Wrote: Hi All,

I have a question related to BMS amps capacity.

Im building a 14s18p powerwall , lets say that I can draw 5am per P = 90amps (idealy)

But I know that the max charge capacity from the Charge Controller is 30 amps

And the Load will not exceed 20 becuase I will use a 1k GTILv2 

Im planing to buy a 50amp BMS since I will not exceed 30amps and I know these chinnesse BMS 50amps is max short burst, but constant 30 to 40amps

50amp BMS is ok for a battery that probably will have 70 to 90 amps capacity ?

Thanks in advance
CG
Yes sir - its not about capacity, its about how many amps flow thru the BMS.     My battery can do 1000a but I have a 400a shunt-trip because of $ and wire size and because that's most I want to draw for the forseeable future..    If you buy a smaller BMS now its fine,  but if you think that ater you will want more current flow - then you have to weigh the cost of replacing the smaller one with a bigger one vs putting in a bigger one now.
Ibiza likes this post
(07-07-2020, 07:20 PM)OffGridInTheCity Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 06:33 PM)507PowerWall Wrote: Hi All,
Thanks in advance
CG
Yes sir - its not about capacity, its about how many amps flow thru the BMS.     My battery can do 1000a but I have a 400a shunt-trip because of $ and wire size and because that's most I want to draw for the forseeable future..    If you buy a smaller BMS now its fine,  but if you think that ater you will want more current flow - then you have to weigh the cost of replacing the smaller one with a bigger one vs putting in a bigger one now.

Thanks good advse