Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Safe Cabinet
I just measured the steel with my slide gauge. 2mm! Thats quite fat i guess.
(07-18-2020, 03:31 AM)camthecam Wrote: Just vent into neighbours house.

Yes, choose carefully where you aim the vent. Li-ion fires generate huge amounts of flammable gases, so it may amount to a monster flamethrower that would make Elon's Musk's look like a toy.  For some numbers, here it is claimed that they produce 330L/kWh of flammable gas (p. 57), and it is recommended to have a forced ventilation rate of 0.32 cfm/kWh (p.48).
Bubba likes this post
(07-18-2020, 10:47 PM)gauss163 Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 03:31 AM)camthecam Wrote: Just vent into neighbours house.

Yes, choose carefully where you aim the vent. Li-ion fires generate huge amounts of flammable gases, so it may amount to a monster flamethrower that would make Elon's Musk's look like a toy.  For some numbers, here it is claimed that they produce 330L/kWh of flammable gas (p. 57), and it is recommended to have a forced ventilation rate of 0.32 cfm/kWh (p.48).
  Read the pdf. The container sized fire storage looks like a hell on earth occurrence Big Grin .   Maybe they should adopt the fireworks

storage with high earthen walls to prevent fire radiating to adjacent containers.

jimjr
(07-19-2020, 02:17 PM)Jim Jr. Wrote: Read the pdf. The container sized fire storage looks like a hell on earth occurrence Big Grin .   Maybe they should adopt the fireworks storage with high earthen walls to prevent fire radiating to adjacent containers.

Large pack (powerwall) fires needn't be so bad if the pack is properly designed, e.g. see here for a test on a g2 Tesla powerpack. But that's using state-of-the-art tech to improve safety (most of which - alas - is currently impossible to emulate in DIY powerwalls, e.g. tweaks to cell chemistry, separators, highly customized BMS, etc).
(07-19-2020, 04:23 PM)gauss163 Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 02:17 PM)Jim Jr. Wrote: Read the pdf. The container sized fire storage looks like a hell on earth occurrence Big Grin .   Maybe they should adopt the fireworks storage with high earthen walls to prevent fire radiating to adjacent containers.

Large pack (powerwall) fires needn't be so bad if the pack is properly designed, e.g. see here for a test on a g2 Tesla powerpack. But that's using state-of-the-art tech to improve safety (most of which - alas - is currently impossible to emulate in DIY powerwalls, e.g. tweaks to cell chemistry, separators, highly customized BMS, etc).
 I was referring to my partner in the magic smoke department , John Murphy ------- Murphy's Law   Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Jim jr
Promatec or vermiculite sheets.
From both sheets you can easy make a chimney to the outside.
Both materials are very fire proof and very good insulating.
As mentioned before: a proper designed power wall is very safe--->fuses on each level.
If i remember correctly, Korisan made a topic about this, from cell level fusing up to your solar panels or generator.
For cell level i strongly recommend glass fusses!
Best, Igor