Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home energy measurement and browsing — noob seeks SLS community wisdom
Thanks everyone again for the contributions to the thread; some solid takeaways for me for sure! I'll report back with details of how I go, along with any notable learnings along the way. And Wolf, Wow. You have ALL the data. Have you stumbled across any insights that you found surprising (or surprisingly obvious) having student / correlated the various data sets?
(09-08-2020, 08:59 AM)Mick Wrote: Thanks everyone again for the contributions to the thread; some solid takeaways for me for sure!  I'll report back with details of how I go, along with any notable learnings along the way. And Wolf, Wow.  You have ALL the data. Have you stumbled across any insights that you found surprising (or surprisingly obvious) having student / correlated the various data sets?

Mick,

The one outstanding thing that I learned is to run certain appliances ie. dishwasher/ washing machine during solar maximum if possible. Also turn off stuff you don't use ie. AV equipment. We all know that anyway but once you see it represented on a graph it is enlightening what a small change will do for the overall picture.
Considering my last electric bill was $32.79 for 134 kWh  (that is for power and delivery charge) that equates to 24¢ per kWh. Not cheap. As you use more it does become a bit less expensive 14.9¢ from my supplier. Before solar I used to use ~450 kWh  on average and in the summer with the AC running much more. This was the first summer I used my Li-ion battery pack and my consumption from the grid was greatly reduced. Most people don't know what uses what in a house and just blindly pay their electricity bill not really knowing how these appliances work and what causes their bill to escalate. 

Wolf
Korishan likes this post
For Info Google Drive

Great ABB shunt breaker seller River City Industrial
Great prices and superb service.
 [Image: em2566%20(1)__19172.1521541365.jpg?c=2]

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
I agree. I have a basic power monitor system set up on my mains. It's interesting to see what kind of items do what kind of loads on the system. I only have 2 sensors (both hots) atm, and working on getting per circuit monitoring working.
Once you can see what is going on with your power, makes you more aware of loads and phantom loads.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
(09-08-2020, 08:59 AM)Mick Wrote: You have ALL the data. Have you stumbled across any insights that you found surprising (or surprisingly obvious) having student / correlated the various data sets
I produce/consume off-grid in cooperation with the grid.    A key insight for me is that steadier loads are doable when producing your own power.    Some really steady loads are things like computers/tv - run 24/7 steadily.  Even kitchen stuff and the hot water heat-pump are predictable and reasonable to plan for off-grid Solar power. 

Its the high power, variable loads such as the whole house AC that make Solar more difficult as it can really spike.   For example, we get 20'ish 100F+ days/year where I live.  My home consumption goes from 3000w/hour (85F) to 6000w/hour (100F+) on those days.  That's an extra (3kwh*24) = 72kwh/day for just 20days of the year!

It really raises my respect for 'the grid' that it can handle these spikes in power Smile

So I've been thinking about mitigation - perhaps use fans on 100F+ days and only use Solar AC in the hottest 1/3 of the day?  or have a backup mini-split and cool only a portion of the house on those days?  ....   things like that if it really came to a Puerto Rico type event and I had to live 100% on my own power.