Site not properly indexed by Google?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gauss163

It seems that this site is notbeing properlyindexed by Google, sincegoogle searches don't seem to find many recent posts.

In particular, this means that contributions here will reach far fewer people than they might otherwise,which may welldiscouragesome folksfrom contributing.

It would be really nice if this was fixed.

Note: some posts are being indexed, but many are not, e.g. this25 day old post is still not indexed, even though some newer posts are indexed.

Sites google ranking is quite high, might just be google having so many date to crunch?

Huh? One should be able to search on whatever keywords are pertinent.

In any case pick that thread and choose any terms you like from various posts and you'll find that Google won't find any of the posts (except maybe the first few iirc). I'm not aware of any other site where search is broken so badly.

You can debug this by using the Google console available to site admins. It can tell you precisely why indexing is failing.

Good to see Google finally indexed it. So it appears that it is taking Google over a month to index some pages on this site. Can you debug that via google search console?

The site search is too limited. Besides I don't want to have to learn the quirks of hundreds of different site search methods. Normally google works fine on all the other sites i use, so I presumed the issue is due to some quirk of this site.

I can't afford to make those changes, so we will just have to run with this for now. Thanks for the heads up at anyrate.

^^^ Out of curiosity, what are the issues and the changes that you refer to? Knowing that may help me to workaround the problem (or at least understand better the limitations) so save me much wasted effort.

There have been many member sugustions over time that have gone into a list somewhere on my desk - to find said list with out first looking for something totally unrelated will result in a failed search. One will be an over haul of the GUI and perhaps a platform change.

^^^ Oh, I thought instead you meant some changes necessary to fix the problem with Google search, not site search. It's really puzzling since I've never seen any other site be so slow to be indexed.

I do a lot of linking to my prior posts (for links to graphs, papers, explanations, etc) and the easiest way to find them is to simply Google a relatively unique buzzword (such as an author's name as above).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back