Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JK-B1A24S / JK-B2A24S Active Balancer
(10-16-2020, 09:13 PM)not2bme Wrote: Here's the RS485 protocol that I was able to obtain for the JK-B1A24S. I don't have the board with this interface so I can't use it but is up for anyone else that could use it.

So I am using a couple of this new versions of the JK-B2A24S-15P
Two at my actual system with 2x 14s60p on a Infini E5.5K, and another two on my second system which is still in building process with 2x 14s120p on a MPP MPI 10k.

Both systems are in my backyard and I would like to monitor them from inside the house

The new ones come with CAN and RS485

and an option for addional modules

not sure, for what you will need them. Asked the seller and the answer was "to connect with the computer" but there are no USB or ethernet connectors on it, so...

Two questions:
1.) does anybody know if a need this modules to connect the BMS with a computer or can I directly use the RS485 / CAN ports at the bms itselfes?
2.) how would I proceed the best way to get the BMS data in my house?

I have CAT7  network cables to both inverter locations and would prefer some communication over ethernet. For the inverters I am using some Modbus -> Ethernet adapters.
I do not own an Pi and would prefer to avoid one because I am planing to install an "real" server with ESXi running 24/7 at my cellar. Network switch and hardware is there, just not setting up the stuff for now.
(11-04-2020, 08:21 AM)Stefanseiner Wrote: The new ones come with CAN and RS485

Two questions:
1.) does anybody know if a need this modules to connect the BMS with a computer or can I directly use the RS485 / CAN ports at the bms itselfes?
2.) how would I proceed the best way to get the BMS data in my house?

I have CAT7  network cables to both inverter locations and would prefer some communication over ethernet. For the inverters I am using some Modbus -> Ethernet adapters.
I do not own an Pi and would prefer to avoid one because I am planing to install an "real" server with ESXi running 24/7 at my cellar. Network switch and hardware is there, just not setting up the stuff for now.

First the above is the BMS version, so it is different from the active balancer only version. That means this will have a slight varation to the protocol. I bought mine from ICGOGO as well and they were quick to respond with the documents. You will need to obtain that document specific to your device.

Now as for the need for that dongle, from what I can see the ports of the actual BMS shows that it is a TTL both the canbus and rs485 output in that photo. That means it can't communicate directly to a Canbus or RS485 device. TTL is common as the default serial output signal from most microcontrollers like arduinos. TTL signals are not made for distance and is very susceptible to noise. The dongle is basically translating the TTL serial signal into a Canbus or RS485 signal. If you read the specification on those protocols it's all about what signals go high and low so you can read all the 1's and 0's.

Yes I have a whole bunch of RS485 devices as well and I run all my serial devices through a multi-Serial to Ethernet hub. This simplifies my programming since all my ports are mapped to virtual serial ports and they can be accessed anywhere on my network. My Pi is communicating with my devices through a virtual serial port and it doesn't even realize it.

No you don't have to run a Pi, it just makes it simpler as the original program was to communicate with the device through bluetooth, eliminating the wires. A Pi has bluetooth built in so it's just a convenient.
I think I will try the way with wires / RS485 dongles.
Bluetooth-connection is not stable with my several jkbms. After 5 minutes or 10 the connection between the BMS and the tablet I bought just to for this case get lost. It can be re-established directly, but it's impossible to monitor some data over a time period
(11-19-2020, 11:37 AM)Stefanseiner Wrote: I think I will try the way with wires / RS485 dongles.
Bluetooth-connection is not stable with my several jkbms. After 5 minutes or 10 the connection between the BMS and the tablet I bought just to for this case get lost. It can be re-established directly, but it's impossible to monitor some data over a time period

I don't use the app except to configure the unit. It doesn't really log the data so instead I use the bluetooth and the jkbms python script to extract that data into influxdb. I've been testing this for the last 3 weeks and will probably bring the 48v setup online by next weekend if all goes as planned.