Need more miles for battery

Baboshka

Hiya Folks,
I am an utter noob at this so please bare with me.
I have an efoldi mobility scooter the range is up to 14 miles but the way I drive mine I get about 10 miles. Each battery now cost 600, which is a lot for such a battery.
What I would like to know is..can I improve this battery to get more miles?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Baboshka
image_xrelmc.jpg

Do you know what the voltage of the battery is?
Is it a lithium battery?
What is the Ah of the battery?

Later floyd

Sorry I forgot to put this information in.
FarReach 24V 12AH Li-Ion
Motor:24V,250W
Thanks floyd

Depending on how much room you have in the battery compartment you might be able to put a larger battery in the battery compartment. Hard to tell how big the battery compartment is.
later floyd

floydR said:
Depending on how much room you have in the battery compartment you might be able to put a larger battery in the battery compartment. Hard to tell how big the battery compartment is.
later floyd
I will take a photo of it in better light with a tape measure tomorrow.

I want to do Route 66 with Tank Girl, hence needing more miles per charge. I know its a big idea, its a challenge. :)
Cheers Floyd
Baboshka

This is Tank Girl
image_prmted.jpg

Are you in the UK? A diy battery can't travel on planes. I am assuming Route 66 is the one in Arizona probably best to buy the a backup battery from efoldi or Maybe buy a 24v battery (not from efoldi) and use it to charge the efoldi battery
Might be able to rig up a cable that plugs into the power connector from the battery to the motor. then you could have both batteries charged at night and just switch them when one gets low.

Later floyd

floydR said:
Are you in the UK? A diy battery can't travel on planes. I am assuming Route 66 is the one in Arizona probably best to buy the a backup battery from efoldi or Maybe buy a 24v battery (not from efoldi) and use it to charge the efoldi battery
Might be able to rig up a cable that plugs into the power connector from the battery to the motor. then you could have both batteries charged at night and just switch them when one gets low.

Later floyd
Hiya Floyd,
Sorry for the delay in my reply I had to pick up my frame today for Tank Girl (scooter)
I have enclosed some photos of Tank girl, so you can have a better idea what can be done.
Efoldi battery is 600.00, I have 2 of them, when I bought them they where 500 each. This is a lot of money for the mileage I get which is about 10 miles per charge. A mate has an Electric fold up bike , he get up to 35 miles per charge and speed 15 miles, TG does 8, legal speed limit for mobility scooters here.
If I could rig other batteries to run off the efoldi that is a good option. Or... Build a bigger battery and put it under the seat?
What do you think?

Yes I live in the UK on the Isle Of Wight :)
Tank Girl has no room for mirrors which can be a hazard. For the past 8 I have been trying to think of a design that would allow me to put mirrors and action camera on a frame, without messing the scooter frame or anything to interfere with how it runs. I tried a few things and finally came up with a design, I got the bits and took it to a welder who knocked it together for me. It is not finished yet as I need something else added to it. The framed is not fixed, so I can take it off when I need too.
I have enclosed a pic of this too.

Also you might have noticed TG only has ONE break, which is on the front wheel. One day while I was out on it , the brake cable snapped. This is not good, more so when you see the type of roads I go down. see link below :)
So now what I also need to do is sort out another braking system in case this one fails me.. I am working on that at the mo. As someone once said to me , there is no such thing as the perfect mobility scooter. By the time I am finished with tank Girl, she will be.
Thanks again Floyd for your time
Cheers Baboshka

image_inbpgn.jpg

image_katydy.jpg

image_lusxlw.jpg

image_ytpwor.jpg

image_wmnhxo.jpg

image_nduvmx.jpg

image_kupryn.jpg

When do you plan on riding route 66 And which parts of route 66 would you be riding on? hopefully with a group of riders I will do some figuring and see what I can come up with.
later floyd

floydR said:
When do you plan on riding route 66 And which parts of route 66 would you be riding on? hopefully with a group of riders I will do some figuring and see what I can come up with.
later floyd

I plan to do a video dairy of my journey and put it on the net. If I can do it alone I would. There is so much to think about and plan and I am just at the beginning. Maybe a book also, something for the grand kids :)
People ask why do this...and I say what else have I got to do?
My friends were not surprised by me wanting to do this and said Go for it.

Compartment Depth 9 and 1/2 CM
Length 18 1/2 CM
Width 7 CM

This is so cool of you FloydR, Cheer mate.

Ooops sorry I just realised there is an R after your name. Did I tell you I am dyslaxic ? :)

jamessw said:
Baboshka said:
floydR said:
later floyd
I will take a photo of it in better light with a tape measure tomorrow.

I want to do Route 66 with Tank Girl, hence needing more miles per charge. I know its a big idea, its a challenge. :)
Cheers Floyd
Baboshka

This is Tank Girl
image_prmted.jpg

Do you have any other photos to post here? It would be great to see them in this thread.

Hiya Jamessw,
I will add some more tomorrow.
I have done a few videos on tank girl on YouTube. One where I gate crashed the Scooter rally on the Isle of Wight, that was fun. Oh and one where I crashed on her.
cheers Baboshkia

Just watch out for the 5-0. They don't take too kindly to having a motorized scooter on public roads. For a while they weren't pulling anyone over during the coronavirus but that novelty wore off and around here they're out like swarms like before. Just don't make any sudden movements and avoid staring at them. If you do, don't turn around and run either. These predators are vicious.

A book is a terrific idea. just remember this will take a lot of planning. Have you begun making arrangements? People all over the world may be inspired to watch and follow you on your journey. Motorized mobility scooters are legal when driven in most bike lanes and roads where pedestrian traffic is allowed. But always wise to check with locals about enforcement.
I will figure out how much battery you can fit into battery compartment this weekend.
Btw floyd is ok the R is for my last name.
later floyd

floydR said:
A book is a terrific idea. just remember this will take a lot of planning. Have you begun making arrangements? People all over the world may be inspired to watch and follow you on your journey. Motorized mobility scooters are legal when driven in most bike lanes and roads where pedestrian traffic is allowed. But always wise to check with locals about enforcement.
I will figure out how much battery you can fit into battery compartment this weekend.
Btw floyd is ok the R is for my last name.
later floyd

Thanks for the advice.
Floyd I was thinking, what about if I sent you my spare battery, that might help you figure something out? As long as you do not kill it :)
Or..... What about making a brace under the seat for another battery, so you will have more choice in size? But then have to figure a way to connect to the motor. Sheesh this is not easy is it?

I painted the frame yesterday and saw Joe about making another bit for the frame and then its completed then, apart from the lights.
What do you think? I am chuffed. I am thinking of a mini trailer and maybe run that of a small motor so it will not kill Tank Girls battery. I also spoke to Joe about putting another brake on the back wheels today and he agrees with me, its doable.
Thanks Floyd :)

image_qjlnuj.jpg

Have you had a lot of miles on the scooter already? Keeping it light is probably the hard part. Not sure of the continuous duty a scooter like that can run... you might want to carry some spares like motors with you, maybe leave it with someone in the same state so they can ship it to you where ever you are. Also I was thinking a canopy of sorts (https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-94571-Semi-Rigid-Canopy/dp/B002DVQA2G) with some flexible solar panels so you can charge and ride at the same time. Who knows it might give you some added mileage.

not2bme said:
Have you had a lot of miles on the scooter already? Keeping it light is probably the hard part. Not sure of the continuous duty a scooter like that can run... you might want to carry some spares like motors with you, maybe leave it with someone in the same state so they can ship it to you where ever you are. Also I was thinking a canopy of sorts (https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-94571-Semi-Rigid-Canopy/dp/B002DVQA2G) with some flexible solar panels so you can charge and ride at the same time. Who knows it might give you some added mileage.
Hiya,
for a mobility scooter I have done a far bit of miles. Yes this is what I was also thinking about, keeping it light as possible. I will have to take rest just to ensure I do not over do the motor. Yes I will defo be carrying spares. I was thinking I am going to have to learn to take scooter apart and put it back together.
A canopy, what a cool idea. I like that thanks.
I knew I had come to the right forum with smart people :D
Daughter lives in Oregon so I could send spares to her, another fab idea of yours.
I could ask Efoldi to donate spares, well what have I got to loose apart from a No. :cool:

I too was thinking about charging the battery while I am on the move. Something else to look into.
So much to think about, its working my brain, its good.
Thanks for your input not2bme :)
cheers
Baboshka

not2bme,
what about this :D :D
https://www.amazon.com/KINGSOO-Umbr...NZCCR6J7497&psc=1&refRID=YKZRWDDG3NZCCR6J7497

floydR said:
Baboshka
Is this the route66 you want to ride? https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27541540 or are you planning on riding more of historic route 66 ?
Later floyd

Nah floyd,
I want to do the old route https://www.historic66.com/description/ ( looks around, oops floyd has fainted.) :D
Now can you see why I need more miles out of my battery :)
Not2me had some good idea's one, having spares for my scooter with someone that I know in the USA, which happens to be my daughter.

I am one of those people, that if I think about they reasons why not to do it then I would never do anything. So I tend to look for the good reasons why to go for it.
I am 57 now and the way the world is changing I will never get the chance to do this if I don't do soon.
I am well aware of the dangers, how hard it will be, but ....

I know it will take me a long time but as I have said what else have I to do, this is like the big adventure before my disability will not allow me to do something crazy like this. Its degenerative and has got worse over the past few years.

I look at it this way, if you are going to do something, do something big and where there is a will there is a way.
Have you ever been in a catch 22 situation?, I feel I have been in that situation most of my life. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.
Well, its about time I broke out of that shell and see which way the wind takes me.
And maybe I just want to say to my grand kids, if I can do this, then you guys can do anything if you put your mind to it.

I plan to do a lot of writing, taking photos and vids. Imagine all the photo's that I will get and the people that I would meet along the way, life is for living.
You have a fab day :)
Baboshka

I didn't faint, an undertaking this big takes planning and a lot of support. Do you have a disability association for your disability in the uk? if so the US most likely has a sister organization contact the UK and US organizations perhaps they would give support.
How many miles a day would you like to travel? When you stop for the day where would you stay? California and Arizona are mountains with long stretches of desert in between with few people outside of the cities and towns.
Later floyd

floydR said:
Would a battery such as this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-L...rentrq:d1a1dc9a1730a9bd933cb8edfffed4e4|iid:1 fit under the seat?
Battery pack size: 24cm*16.5cm*7.5cm so 9.5 inches x 6.5 inches x 2.95 inches
Battery pack weight 5.1 kg
later floyd
Hiya floyd,
I have checked and yes that would fit under the seat.

The whole trip depends on the batteries. I have to be able to get to a point where I can charge the batteries, hence the right planning. I do believe I can do it.
Thanks again bud for you advice and imput :)
Cheers
Baboshka

Floyd, folks check this out, Oh boy.
Thats a very ambitious goal and we would like to help. For starters we can give you a refurb battery absolutely free to get you started on testing distance. Our refurbs are brand new cells but put in replacement casings usually because the original casing was damaged in transit to us so they are as good as new.

Heres a thing - we would love to be a part of this in a small way so we would be willing to stake you for spare tyres and tubes during the journey plus once you are set up to do it we will provide you with a fast charger and any extra batteries you may need. We would only want you to let us use some of the footage on our own site and FB group and be able to use your trip as a demo of the scooters reliability etc.

The refurb battery we can send is completely unconditional but we would love to see if there is some way we can work with you on this.

We can make you up custom side panels for your scooter for instance (Captain America from Easy Rider would look good :) )

Let us know and let us know where we can send the battery to because you will need to do some time distance tests. We cant get any more power out of the existing batteries but its possible we could maybe mod a scooter to hold two at a time. I would need to discuss that with Jin and Sumi as to how we could do it. It may not be possible so carrying spares may be the best way forward.

It may also be possible to increase the speed of the scooter as you will not be under UK regulations. It could be looked into.

It will be a heck of a trip and we would of course want to see what we could do to help you with this.

Mel
Wow amazing or what?
Baboshka

Back