Pouch & Prismatics in the database?

DiggsUt

I don't see any place or entry for pouch or prismatic cells in the database. Not ready or not embracing the future as 18650s die out? After all, the forum is Second Life Storage not 18650s Are Us.

There are lots of other cells other than 18650's listed:

image_ebviub.jpg

Korishan said:
There are lots of other cells other than 18650's listed:

image_ebviub.jpg

My bad. It's been awhile since I've been in the database and I didn't remember that entry. I'm really striving to understand and learn what I guess would be the leading edge of aftermarket prismatic cell usage and future especially in the DIY community. There are discussions and wiring and construction practices shown around the net (especially YouTube) but nothing here where I would expect to find it prominently discussed.

Most users here aren't using prismatics or pouch cells. Not saying they shouldn't be represented. I posted the image to state that the database wasn't *just* 18650's ;)

I agree that prismatic and pouch cells may be added to the DB.

Please post information in the Cell Database section with what you have, including numbers, capacities, datasheets (if you have them), etc. The cells that get entered into the DB is collected from those who post in the section. it's not manually entered by us.

None of the listed are prismatic or pouch cells. Looks like cylindrical cells only
But prismatic or pouch cells would be much harder to do since there are hundreds of sizes both in Ah and dimensions.
common ones
EV (edit- non cylindrical cells based)
Nissan leaf cells
Toyota Prius cells
ford Energi cells
Chevy volt cells
Chevy bolt cells
ESS
LG
BYD
There are others in this catagory .

If the cell database could implement an EV/ESS category this would be helpful since many of us have moved or are intagrating prismatic or pouch cells with/from cylindrical cells. Just a thought
later floyd

It wouldn't be harder. Just a listing for "Prismatic". Then after that you use the second filter, the Model Keywords", to further filter them out.

floydR said:
But prismatic or pouch cells would be much harder to do since there are hundreds of sizes both in Ah and dimensions.
common ones

There really aren't that many and I think the aftermarket will fall into some basic sizes and categories just as the manufacturers are doing the same. That's a bit why I bring this up for discussion. What are the most common sizes and capacities for which application? Where are they being sourced from? How do you test them? I'm seeing battery boxes 3D printed for the pouch cells already but nothing injection molded to bring the cost down. Does the outside cell case being (+) the positive anode instead of (-) negative like 18650s create problems? Anyway, being able to track them in the database would be a good start.

Perhaps make a thread in the Battery discussion section about prismatic/pouch cells ;) That'd be a good place to start

A lot of the pouch cells are designed for specific applications and datasheets cannot be found. Of course, there are some popular ones like the list you mentioned. On top of that, I can't even get people to submit proper pictures of 18650s even though I've clearly outlined the instructions/requirements... Feel free to submit them and I'll go through the submissions as time permits (haven't had any recently).

I think the problem with pouch and prysmatic cells is that there are too many different sizes to be useful to reuse unless you want to make USB power banks out of 1-8 cells or a mosaic out of cells. Here's my start though.

image_lvtjku.jpg

Back