Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
18650 battery charged with solar panel
Hello, i apologize if this topic already exist, i havent seen it. I wonder if anyone could help me out a bit here. I would like to try to do one project of mine where i want to install solar panel custom sized to my chair. My biggest problem for now is the size of those industry batteries, the square ones they are too big for my chair. If im right these 18650 battery are found in laptops and similar devices. Can i connect multiple of those batteries in sort of a tube and connect them on solar panel for charging them? I was thinking of placing them in to the hollow leg of the chair so it would be unseen. Can something like this be done?
Perhaps you need to provide more information what you are looking to do.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
Basically i would like to put small hotspot to it

https://www.eurodk.com/en/products/3g-4g...-320-black

It says max power consumption is 3.5W

And lets say 1 or 2 usb chargers for phone/laptop/tablet or something similar, that should be 12v,right?
Ok, you are completely confusing. You state you want charge with solar, put it to a chair, hollow leg, and now a router? What are you trying to do!?!?!?!?

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
(08-24-2020, 07:01 PM)Korishan Wrote: Ok, you are completely confusing. You state you want charge with solar, put it to a chair, hollow leg, and now a router? What are you trying to do!?!?!?!?

Indeed it is confusing now that i read it Smile
You know those smart benches? Like this one https://www.include.eu/steora/standard

I woukd like to pull out something like this with my old chair at home, but the battery those type of benches usually use are big ones, as in the cars. And i would like to avoid something like that because it would ruin the look of my chair, therefore i figured maybe it would be possible to use those laptop batteries to power all that up, but i would like to mask them/hide them in hollow leg of my chair.

Sorry, i tried to make it as clear as possible, i hope you understand now what i am trying to achieve
Ohhh, ok. At first I thought you wanted to power an electric wheel chair with solar Tongue

Ok, so first off, you'd need a solar panel that can withstand being sat at, and also perhaps things being dropped on. Otherwise, it'd be dead after first accident. Flexible panels might work for this. If your chair is flat seated, then you might be able to use a properly sized panel with tempered glass for the seat. Unless you don't plan on putting the seat with the panel. The back could also use a panel.

You could use laptop batteries for this, yes. Since you want to power small devices, you don't need to go 48V route, but 24V would suffice, as everything would be bucked down to the proper voltage. Maybe even "12v" would work (4s or 5s for this, as 3s would be too low) as long as the mppt charge controller can work in the voltage range. 24V (7s) would be more amiable for this application.

Depending on the size of your chair, you wouldn't even need to put the cells in the legs. You could have them lay flat against the underside of the seat. Would only add about 25mm to the bottom of the seat, which isn't much. Then depending on the space available, put as many in parallel as possible for the voltage your choose. The mppt controller could probably be mounted on the back of the seat to keep it hidden, out of the way, easy to get access to if need be.

I'd reserve the legs/arms for the wiring and not put cells in there.

For a stationary application like the bench supplying 12vdc and 5vdc at a low amp draw should be possible with reclaimed laptop cells.
12vdc for the router
5vdc for the usb ports.
Others will reply with detail on how to do it, what is the size of the hollow leg you are thinking of installing the battery?
later floyd
(08-24-2020, 07:22 PM)floydR Wrote: For a stationary application like the bench supplying 12vdc and 5vdc at a low amp draw should be possible with reclaimed laptop cells.
12vdc for the router
5vdc for the usb ports.
Others will reply with detail on how to do it, what is the size of the hollow leg you are thinking of installing the battery?
later floyd
Height around 50cm and its maybe 4x4cm wide, i was thinking of making some sort of a tube and place it in that hollow space of a leg, then i could put them one to other like in old tv remotes? Thaz should be abke to work?

(08-24-2020, 07:18 PM)Korishan Wrote: Ohhh, ok. At first I thought you wanted to power an electric wheel chair with solar Tongue

Ok, so first off, you'd need a solar panel that can withstand being sat at, and also perhaps things being dropped on. Otherwise, it'd be dead after first accident. Flexible panels might work for this. If your chair is flat seated, then you might be able to use a properly sized panel with tempered glass for the seat. Unless you don't plan on putting the seat with the panel. The back could also use a panel.

You could use laptop batteries for this, yes. Since you want to power small devices, you don't need to go 48V route, but 24V would suffice, as everything would be bucked down to the proper voltage. Maybe even "12v" would work (4s or 5s for this, as 3s would be too low) as long as the mppt charge controller can work in the voltage range. 24V (7s) would be more amiable for this application.

Depending on the size of your chair, you wouldn't even need to put the cells in the legs. You could have them lay flat against the underside of the seat. Would only add about 25mm to the bottom of the seat, which isn't much. Then depending on the space available, put as many in parallel as possible for the voltage your choose. The mppt controller could probably be mounted on the back of the seat to keep it hidden, out of the way, easy to get access to if need be.

I'd reserve the legs/arms for the wiring and not put cells in there.

I have seen companies offering collored glass with /for panels. I suppose that is strengthen glass that mounts over the panel allowing you to sit on it. And they come in colors.

Would lets say 10000mah be able to make this small hotspot work 24 hours during the summer?

Update : i just seen one battery is 3000mah,i really have no idea about capacity and usage, but since one battery is 3000mah i assume it takes lot more for 24 hour duration of hot spot work
^^^ Googling "solar powered hotspot" yields many matches, including DIY solutions.
(08-24-2020, 08:04 PM)gauss163 Wrote: ^^^ Googling "solar powered hotspot" yields many matches, including DIY solutions.

If you read carefully enough you will notice i need few more informations besides powering hotspot...